New here!

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New here!

Postby clairemac on June 22nd, 2004, 12:59 pm

Hello,

so glad to find this. BAsically here is my story... two years ago I had an als scare and my neuro after two EMGS said BFS. I wound with chicken pox and then everything was fine.
I haven't had that many flare ups but now I am having a DOOZY!

Everything was great and then I noticed my calf has a dent in it, I am not crazy. I don't have any impairments though and my fiance doesn't think it looks any different. anyway, worrying about it (atrophy=ALS) has caused a giant flare up, twitches EVERYWHERE, but I also have muscle aches is this normal? and some muscles feel very tight is that normal? and one more...i feel like a throbbing in my face is that twitching?

of course I made a neuro appt that can't happen until AUG 5th so I am trying not to freak out in the mean time.

thanks!
claire :shock:
clairemac

Postby garym on June 22nd, 2004, 1:16 pm

Claire,

All the sxs you describe can be considered normal in BFS. After two years of twitching, forget about ALS.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby amy_twitch on June 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm

Hi Claire,
I agree with Gary....and also I wanted to shed light on the dent in your leg. I don't know how old you are...but as we women get older....into our 30s and beyond, our hormones change resulting in a difference in body definition and muscle-tone. I still exercise pretty regularly (but I'm no fanatic)....and I too notice what look like 'dents' in my muscles....rather it's more like I can see the outline of the muscle more prominently. Is this what you are seeing? If so, it is probably our age coming into play. We also have changes in the collagen in our skin which probably makes it that much more noticeable. Hope that helps!
Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby amy_twitch on June 22nd, 2004, 1:29 pm

I forgot to add...I believe there are something like three distinct different muscles which make up the entire 'calf'....could be that you are seeing an outline of just one of the smaller muscles. :D
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

no such luck

Postby clairemac on June 22nd, 2004, 1:37 pm

thanks for your replies.
it just feels different than the other side. when I turn my leg I see a dent that I don't see on the outside of my other calf. I thought is was maybe a lump but I don't think so, i think it's a dent. or maybe a fat deposit on top of the muscle, I don't know....

I guess it could be a million things of course it always brings me back to the dreaded possible cause.
here's another question...let's say I had a big dent due to atrohpy on my outer thigh would I still be able to run? would my other calf muscles take up the slack?

going to GP on tuesday...
clairemac

Postby amy_twitch on June 22nd, 2004, 1:43 pm

If you can run, you don't need to worry....
Have you read Arron's "BFS in a Nutshell" post....if not, give it a go...you'll feel more relaxed.
Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

that does help thanks

Postby clairemac on June 22nd, 2004, 4:49 pm

so if it is BFS are there threads already that talk about how to stop the twitches and pain?
clairemac

Postby Pole on June 23rd, 2004, 2:22 am

Claire

I also noticed a dent in my left calf. It's a very obvious dent and I can see it when I have my muscle relaxed. But I noticed it 6 months ago and from that time it's still the same and I still have full stenght in that calf so I don't think it's atrophy caused by ALS (no progression+full strenght)

So, I think that dents in calves may apear from many reasons (old injury, spine problems).

Try not to worry. If you don't feel weakness in that leg, ALS atrophy is VERY UNLIKELY.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

thanks

Postby clairemac on June 23rd, 2004, 9:13 am

that helps a lot, I hadn't heard of anyone else, or seen it when I stare at people's calves on the street. I feel like I am going crazy worrying about this. I don't know why I jump to the worst possible scenario always. I think I am driving my fiancee NUTS, look at this, look at that...you know. maybe I need a therapist more than a neuro... :)

going to the GP on tuesday, I'll let you know. Out of curiousity, where is your dent?
clairemac

Re: thanks

Postby Pole on June 24th, 2004, 1:47 am

clairemac wrote: I stare at people's calves on the street

I used to do the same :D and also never noticed any dents in other people's calves. Sometimes it was strange when I was staring at men's legs :oops:

My dent is on the inside of left calf, just under a knee

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Re: thanks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics