First visit to a neuro

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

First visit to a neuro

Postby AA on June 22nd, 2004, 7:13 am

This is going to be my first time to visit a Neuro. After a period of stress in my life, I developed really really bad fatigue. Its been going on for six weeks straight. GP's blood tests came back normal and she said its stress and anxiety. Along the way I've had the lump-in-the-throat thing (about two weeks then gone), tension headaches (two weeks straight then gone), mild numbness in part of my cheek (yep, on and off for two weeks and then gone), and lately I've taken to getting twitches all over. I've had twitches before in life, they didn't bother me then and they don't bother me now, however the tremors are another story :-). I get the shakes esp when I'm holding up a piece of paper to read. Sometimes I feel it in my head, though not sure if its tremors or if I'm feeling my pulse inside my head. Also, during certain times of the day when I'm sitting (only), I feel I need to support my head (in the thinker's pose). weird.

Anyway, I'm off to the neuro to get answers on this and (hopefully) rule out MS. The constant daily fatigue and the tremors are what's worrying me the most. Anyone else have these symptoms, and what can I expect at the neuro?

Thanks in advance!
AA
Interested
Interested

first timer

Postby terryg on June 22nd, 2004, 8:01 am

AA

My initial symptoms were somewhat similar. The tremoring in my arms really scared me and the different feelings in my neck and head were tough to describe.

Your sensations muscle strength coordination and reflexes will probably be tested. You may get may get scheduled for an EMG. If you do it does mean necessarily that something is really wrong. I think they did it for me to allay my fears more than anything else.

Take care
Terryg
terryg

Re: first timer

Postby Pole on June 22nd, 2004, 8:29 am

terryg wrote:AA

If you do it does mean necessarily that something is really wrong.

I think you wanted to say ....it does NOT mean...

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

cognition

Postby terryg on June 22nd, 2004, 9:29 am

AA & Marcin

Yes thank you. I meant "not mean" He/she will probably do some cognitive tests as well. In my case that was a premorbid condition.

Take care
Terryg
terryg

Postby speg on June 22nd, 2004, 10:27 am

I had the same exact symptoms nearly five years ago -- especially the hand tremors, the resting of the head thing, and the all over twitching. I never saw a neuro cause my shrink promised me it wasn't MS and he put me on meds and eventually it all went away -- until recently. My shrink worked closely with MS patients and said he knew the difference and mine was anxiety. Anyway, I don't think EMG's are used for an MS diagnosis, rather an MRI but I could be wrong. But you will be fine, it is stress, benign twitching and maybe esstential tremor.

peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on June 22nd, 2004, 12:45 pm

Same symptoms - upon reflection, the tremors and twitching were closely related. I still have worse tremors after periods of stress and/or muscle twitching in my arms/hands, so I'm beginning to think there's a cause/effect there.

I'd add that if MS is the route your neuro is seeking to exclude, it may also include an EEG and/or BAER evoked potentials response exam. These are REALLY easy tests - the EEG you just sit there and fall asleep for 10 minutes, but you get electrodes all over you that are affixed with goo, and it'll make you twitch just trying to get all of the goop out of your hair!! : )

I hope the good news is that your symptoms are really very similar to so many of us on the board, that you'll be quite happy with the results. I've almost NEVER heard of a first neuro visit culminating in a definitive "you don't have MS" diagnosis, so PLEASE don't be disappointed if you don't get "closure" on that issue. It is a diagnosis of exclusion and is very "episodic", which leaves the neuros in a pretty bad place to give you definite news on your first visit. However, if you walk out of there without him/her saying "you probably have MS", it IS the same thing. They know - and they WILL tell you if they suspect you are on that path (unfortunately, I have two very close friends that recently went through this, and their accounts of the diagnosis process were very similar and very consistent)

Your symptoms are extermely inconsistent with both disease progressions. I suspect (even from the tone of your message), that you know that, and I would trust in the fact that you are OK unless told otherwise. You should have a very positive experience at the neuro.

Good luck - smile, and enjoy your day!!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby amy_twitch on June 22nd, 2004, 1:03 pm

Hi AA,

I'm pretty new here too....and you sound just like a lot of us. My twitching started last summer after a nasty two-week long tension headache (or so I was told it was a tension headache....could have also been a virus for all I know).

I've had twitching pretty consistently and just recently had some tremors in my left hand when typing on my computer. That freaked me out a little...but since I've found this board, I'm much better.

I have had one brain MRI and two neurological evaluations...the second with all the NCV and EMG tests.....all were perfectly NORMAL.

I suspect you will have a normal evaluation too, and I look forward to hearing about your visit. This board is a wonderful resource...as BFS can be so psychologically draining at times (though, it really doesn't need to be!!) It's great we can support each other and maintain the best mind set possible. Welcome, and I'll be looking for your follow up posts!

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on June 22nd, 2004, 1:05 pm

I wanted to add I know two people with MS and they were both diagnosed right off the bat . . . I won't mention the symptoms, but they aren't anything you are experiencing -- not even close.

My doctor told me that the sheer vagueness of MS symptoms combined with the fact it "mimics" anxiety in so many ways, makes it the #1 disease of choice among those who suffer from health anxiety. PARTICULARLY twitching, tremors, numbness and even clumsiness! When I went through my MS scare I was dropping things constantly, tripping all the time, stumbling on words, etc. It can play tricks on your mind.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby AA on June 23rd, 2004, 12:59 pm

thanks for the feedback, its comforting. I'll drop in after my exam.
AA
Interested
Interested

Postby AA on June 25th, 2004, 4:28 pm

Here's the update as promised:
First, I liked this doctor, I didn't feel rushed at all. Infact we spent 10 minutes discussing Leica cameras... of course he saw me 35 minutes late, must be a time management thing :-)

We went thru all the standard neuro tests and he checked my strength in different parts; I told him about my fear of MS; he said he didn't see anything that would concern him about that. He also talked about these general symptoms could be applied to just about any neuro disorder in the book and no reason to single out MS.

After the exam he said everything with me was related to stress and he ordered up some blood tests "just to be sure". I asked him if he thought an MRI would be helpful. He said "nope, but I'm willing to order you one if it'll put your mind at ease. Think it over and give me a call". I'm now thinking I'm going to pass, I'm going to have get over this crap without resorting to tests everytime to make me feel better.

The blood work he ordered up had something about "CPK" and somesort of anitbody. I'm assuming these would be to test for something screwy going on in the muscles?

PS: Who here will admit to giving themselves the "Babinsky Sign" test? That's the one where they scrape the bottom of your foot to see which direction if any your toes point (the direction indicating whether or not you may have some damage in nerve pathways). I knew what he was doing when he did that... man, its time to unplug the internet, I can't recall how much simpler my life was without it!! :-)
AA
Interested
Interested

ha ha!

Postby SLL on June 25th, 2004, 5:42 pm

we ALL here - guarantee you - have given ourselves neurological exams constantly. I'll be there is not one of us who has not....I have tested my reflexes the best I can every day since this last flareup, done all the strength stuff, walking on toes, heels, etc... crazy!
SLL
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

ha ha!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics