throat

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

throat

Postby marymo on June 16th, 2004, 4:50 pm

Since I read about a lump in the throat, I've had it. My doc perscribed me anti-anxiety pills last night, so I might try it.
I had upper lower extremity EMGS which were clean, except for carpal tunnel.
So I was wondering becuase other people on the board have had the lump feeling, is it ever accompanied by twitching.. becuase mine is. I'd feel better knowing that someone else is having that too. Now the thing that freaks me out, is that I just read someones post saying that twitching could be an early sign of bulbar onset of ALS. Does anyone know anything about this?
Do you think that I should have the doctors do a facial/bulbar EMG to help relieve my anxiety?
I just had a child 3 months ago and am only 25 years old. I know that all the signs point to BFS especially because of my age and gender, but could it be possible it could be something worse?
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby Jenn311 on June 16th, 2004, 9:11 pm

A clean EMG = no ALS. You are in the clear. Congrats on your baby!
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on June 16th, 2004, 9:24 pm

I'm with Jen, clean emg = no als. Lump in the throat is very common with anxiety, I had it for a while when this first started. Do a google search on "globus hystericus". That should give you a better idea about the throat thing.

On a seperate note, having a three month old can be very stressful, and the best thing ever, all rolled into one. I can see how lack of sleep and stress could cause weird sxs. (My daughter will turn two at the end of July, but I can still remember those early days.) So, anti-anxiety drugs may be helpful.

One last thing, did you have to take any antibiotics during or after your delivery? I try to ask all the new members that question because I feel that my sxs were brought on by an antibiotic.

Take care, and relax! Clean emg = no als.

Gary
garym

ME too!!!!!

Postby SLL on June 16th, 2004, 9:49 pm

I hear ya - am in the same boat as you. have been twitching for awhile and then all of a sudden got a lump in throat feeling- or almost a constricted throat feeling like someone was pushing on the soft area in the middle of the neck at the bottom, and NOW I have twitching in the neck, face, chin which I never really had before. I am terrified to eat cause I think i will choke. I, too, got a limb EMG recently and it was clean. And the throat thing started the DAY AFTER the limb emg cause I think I started thinking about "hey he did not do bulbar muscles". And I am sure my subconscious anxiety kicked in. Both my neuro and an ENT I went to said "anxiety".

here is a link I found useful to clarify. It is a little medical but I think what they are saying is if you twitch due to ALS anywhere on your body, it would show up as abnormal findings on the limb EMG EVEN IF the initial site of onset is bulbar.

http://www.mdausa.org/experts/question.cfm?id=1048
SLL
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Don't go there

Postby puggriffey on June 17th, 2004, 10:41 am

Marymo-

Been there, done that. Had the throat sensation (WITH MUCH TWITCHING, even in tongue/neck) for weeks at a time. One time turned to anti-anxiety meds, the other I didn't...I had a MUCH better time getting past it without the drugs. I'd suggest you just relax, focus on other things, drink a cup of hot (decaf) tea once in a while, and ride it out. It can take a while, but it WILL go away.

NO need for a bulbar EMG if you've had a clean upper extremity EMG (even if it was well before your throat problems started)...virtually any good neuro will tell you that.

You are fine - you are going through something almost all of the rest of us have dealt with at least once. Put your mind at ease and enjoy your day.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby marymo on June 17th, 2004, 2:14 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the support. I have another EMG scheduled for July 1st. Just to clarify.
If all of this is stress related, I'm pretty disappointed in myself. I consider myself a strong individual, and have never let anything have this much control over me before.
I've been trying new breathing techniques, circle breathing and a couple different yoga techs. I really like them, but the effects seem so temporary.
One other thing. If twitches are intensified by stressful situations, does that mean it can only be BFS and not the other 3 letter evil?
Thanks again for your comments.
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby marymo on June 17th, 2004, 2:16 pm

and to answer gary's question, yes I did have to have antibiotics intraveneously during labor.
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on June 17th, 2004, 2:30 pm

Mary,

Which antibiotic did you take? If you don't mind me asking, was it cipro, levaquin, tequin or floxin? If so there may be a connection that you need to know about.

Let me know,

Gary
garym

Postby marymo on June 17th, 2004, 2:41 pm

Gary,

I can find out, but I'm not sure right now. The hospital won't give me the info, but can to the doctor.. what kind of connection are you talking about?

Mary
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby garym on June 17th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Mary,

Many people including myself (I truly believe) suffer adverse drug reactions to a group of antibiotics called flouroquinolones. These people, including myself suffer all the symptoms people with BFS do.
I don't want you to waste your time worrying about something else. If you can, find out which abx you took, and then I will put you on to some additional info.

Let me know what you find out.

Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on June 18th, 2004, 7:22 am

FLouroquinolones aren't given to pregnant women because the risks to children aren't known. Also, they are only given to children over 12.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on June 18th, 2004, 11:08 am

I think they are given to women after/during child birth. I hope that isn't the case for Mary.

Gary
garym

Postby marymo on June 22nd, 2004, 10:58 am

SO now I feel like I'm going to choke every time I eat. Actually I hardly eat. Everyone at work is yelling at me to eat, and believe me, I want to, however it's just not going to happen.

I called the neuro office - they tell me that because I am talking okay, that it is not neurologically related even though I'm having twitches in the neck.throat. She recommends that I see a Ears Nose and Throat doc or a GI. I told her that I would probably be seeing her shortly because I didn't believe that it wasn't neurological.

I know that I am supposed to believe these docs, but when I can't even eat.. how am I supposed to? I want to schedule an emergency EMG, but they don't really let ya do that. I have one scheduled for next monday, but if I wait til then I'll wither away to nothing.

I just wonder how this can happen to a 25 year old.
Anyone have insight?
marymo
Interested
Interested

Postby AA on June 22nd, 2004, 11:41 am

Can you physically not eat? Do you feel food is getting stuck on its way down?

ABout 10 years ago, I had the lump in the throat thing in high school. It reappear last month after a very stressful period. An ENT will tell you two things are responsible for it: 1) Acid reflux (even if you don't feel any heartburn), and 2) stress

As I understand it, there are two valves in the esophagus, and when they don't act in concert, the lump feeling occurs. check out this link:

http://www.voicedoctor.net/therapy/cps.html
AA
Interested
Interested

Relax!

Postby puggriffey on June 22nd, 2004, 12:29 pm

Marymo-

If you really are seeking a way to feel better, then you are going to have to force yourself to do something that is going to feel unnatural - trust what these folks are telling you, and relax your mind about this. I am really quite concerned about your not eating - it is certainly perpetuating this vicious cycle you are in, and will ultimately lead to real problems. Whatever you do, YOU MUST EAT, and eat as balanced a diet as you can. Even if you have to mash it, puree it, slurp it through a straw, whatever, your body is experiencing a difficult and taxing time right now, and denying it proper nutrients IS going to create a real problem for you before long.

There are SCORES and SCORES and SCORES of normal, healthy humans out there who struglle with the exact same symptoms you are dealing with right now. Based on your descriptions of your problems (and yes, you are doing the #1 right thing by communicating with your doctors as you experience discomfort), we can CONFIDENTLY tell you that you are experiencing something that is NOT ALS, and is very unlikely a serious, life-threatening problem. You MUST trust your doctors - they are extrmely experienced in this area, and if you read through the posts on these forums/boards (do a search on throat, neck, etc.), you will find that diagnosis and evaluation of the ALS, throat disorder, etc. areas is MUCH more definitive and MUCH less "guesswork" than we all want to believe when we are struggling with our panic/anxiety. You must relax and trust your doctors - focus on RECOVERY and force yourself not to dwell on the unknown.

I have dealt with your exact symptoms all of my life. It comes and goes - sometimes in a matter of weeks, sometimes (thank goodness!) it leaves me alone for months or years. I get hoarse for a couple of days, then my throat (generally starting around my adam's apple area and ususally more pervasive on the right than the left) starts getting tight and uncomfortable, with general soreness and discomfort in my neck (you want to call it a "sore throat", but it doesn't always feel like it's inside the throat - it's almost "outside" the throat, if that's possible). It gets worse and worse - even though I can still "swallow", I REALLY don't want to because I'm afraid I'll choke or find out I can't. But you know what, in the end, I always can. More disturbing, you get to the point sometimes where you feel like your mouth/throat can't swallow, because the tongue doesn't do what you think it should, the neck muslces don't seem to want to push food down as smoothly as you remember, and things get "stuck" (blueberries don't go all down, you take a pill and can "feel" it in the back of your throat for a while, crackers "stick" in the back of your throat...and yes, can someone PLEASE explain to me WHY I'd eat crackers or bread when I'm having one of these episodes??!!). It's really altogether a miserable experience...

Marymo, it IS BENIGN!! Absolutely, positively, no doubt. Globus Hystericus and various muscular episodes related to it ARE a real thing, can be QUITE scary (because they feed off of stress/anxiety, and they subsequently feed back into it), and DO go away. Most often, it takes me WEEKS to feel better. Even if I am CALM about it, think rationally and don't panic, there's not much you can do about it. In my particular case, THANK GOD!, a very good physical therapist, in conjunction with my neurologist, did finally identify a spastic sternoclamastoid (SCM) muscle as the likely trigger and have helped me find exercises and techniques to accelerate the healing process when it happens, but bottom line is the three things STILL that help me most are: having a nice long talk with someone (if you can believe that!), taking a nice LONG walk or getting exercise outdoors (something about physical exertion in the fresh air), and a hot cup of tea (decaf). Go figure. But, it NEVER goes away until I relax and stop thinking about it, focus on my normal everyday things, and get in a happy place. If you CAN'T do that yourself right now, you should absolutely seek out some therapy and address the issue of your fear and obsession with this problem. I used to avoid those words, thinking they are bad and offensive, but I've learned a lot through this whole experience and now know they are anything but that - they are simply what many of us are facing, and they represent really minor annoyances once you get yourself to a better place and can see how lucky we are that they are the worst things we have to worry about.

Please make a real effort to trust me/us, and especially to believe in what your doctors are telling you. They can't possibly give you your news in a way that makes you understand that they sympathize fully with your discomfort and fear - they are seeing more and more and more of us worriers every day. But they know what they're doing, and from the sounds of your situation, they know you're OK. I do too.

Please take care of yourself - go do something fun (go see a movie, and EAT some Raisinets or something) and relax. You are OK, and you need to start the healing process.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Relax!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics