BFS can be caused by gluten, recent studies

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: BFS can be caused by gluten, recent studies

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 11th, 2013, 9:24 pm

aztwitchy wrote:its probably worth mentioning just going gluten free is not what worked for me. there are like 50 bakeries in every town that make gluten free cupcakes...im sure if I ate one of those it would be worse than just having a few slices of pizza....the diet that worked for me was not only gluten free but low immflamatory...i cut out processed sugar, nuts, anything with gluten and cut down on dairy quite a bit to the point i go 5 of 7 days of no dairy whatsoever. I also cut out eggs. its a pretty radical shift but the benefits are noticable enough to continue.

SAM the comfort part is missing and I can feel that emotionally.

Right on aztwitchy! BFS is incredibly complicated. I always struggle to convey all of the important factors in any one post. Yes, gluten was a huge trigger for me, but eliminating gluten alone did not make me feel much better. That is because, as you stated, there are a lot of potential inflammatory foods. Dairy was another for me, along with processed sugars, nightshades, soy, and yet even more. By the time you start to develop neurological symptoms that many of us know as BFS, your body and particularly digestive system has been taking abuse for a loooong time. You can't expect to eliminate just one or two foods and expect to have everything magically go away. When your gut is in bad shape, so is your immune system and your detox system (liver).

That isn't even the worst of it. I've mentioned several times in my posts that when your immune system goes hypersensitive and you can even have neurological reactions to personal care products, laundry detergents, fabric softeners, and dryer sheets. In fact, these are quite common in cases of people with 'leaky gut syndrome,' which is essentially the name for the digestive system disorder that covers all of this. My poor wife was so kind to me when she went and washed every article of clothing I owned with a natural laundry detergent. She even did research online and found a natural dryer sheet substitute (called woolly balls and they're reusable). I still owe her for putting up with me through the worst of it. She even avoided eating things in front of me that she knew I missed.

Be encouraged though aztwitchy! The fact that diet is making you feel better is a very good sign. It is a very strong indicator that you are indeed actually suffering from a case of LGS, just as I was. Why is this good news? Because if that's what it is, there's actually answers for you now! Do you realize what this means? Answers! And known methods of treatment! Leaky Gut Syndrome is treatable and able to be recovered from. The diet sucks and I was on it for months. It does get easier though. When you remove the inflammation and get rid of the candida, you can repopulate the pro-biotics. If any food sensitivities remain you just need to find a local NAET practitioner near you. The website has a feature to find practitioners all over the world. Fingers crossed that mine was not just an isolated case. I beat this and I know that others can too. That's one of the reasons I never left.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby aztwitchy on July 12th, 2013, 12:02 pm

SAM, if you have some time can you give me an example of your diet for a particular day?
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on July 12th, 2013, 12:50 pm

aztwitchy wrote:SAM, if you have some time can you give me an example of your diet for a particular day?

I'm assuming you are talking about the temporary diet I had to go on in order to heal. I ate very, very basic foods so as to not risk contaminating my body with anything that I was sensitive to. I was never much of a breakfast eater, so I would typically have organic fruit. I would eat maybe an apple and a banana, or a peach and a small bowl of blue berries. There is a wide selection of frozen organic fruit usually in the freezer section that gives you more variety than the usual limited selection in the fresh produce. I would always try to limit myself to 2 large pieces of fruit per day, because even the natural sugar in fruit, although diluted, can add up and feed the candida. I would also make a cup of naturally caffeine free herbal tea.

For lunch I would have a meat and a veggie. I avoided lunch meats because you'll find they soak them in preservatives and sugars. No bacon or sausage either for the same reason. I'd make a burger patty (no bun), chicken breast, or sometimes fish. Since I couldn't eat condiments like ketchup, mustard, or BBQ sauce I started getting creative with the natural spices and seasonings. I would use pepper, Italian seasoning, basil, sea salt, and garlic often. Garlic is a good anti-candida ingredient.

For dinners I would try to get more creative. I started hitting up the exotic meats at the world food market in town. I was eating duck, lamb, rabbit, ground goat meat, and exotic fish. I rather enjoyed the experimentation. Again, I would stick to the basic and only use natural seasonings and spices that didn't have sugars or preservatives added. I found natural substitutes for a lot of things, usually from suggestions online. For example, salad dressings have all kinds of crap in them. I didn't want to just eat raw lettuce in salads, so I found a page that recommended squeezing fresh lemon juice onto your salad as a dressing. I actually liked it and still use this today sometimes. I found recopies to make my own guacamole, where I substituted zucchini for the tomatoes because I was avoiding nightshades. It turned out great and I still make it that way today.

Once I got out of the funk and depression at feeling so limited, I decided that there were tons of things out there for me to eat and try and that I would make the best of it and have fun with it. Not too long after my experience reflected just that. I stopped missing certain foods so much because I was involved in exploring everything that I could eat. That was based on good advice I read on another forum. They said, don't focus on what you can't eat, focus on what you can and have fun with it. Good advice.

Lastly the beverages. I cut out all sugary and caffeinated beverages. Basically I only drank herbal tea (with no cream or sugar) and spring water. That was it. At first I missed the variety of sweet beverages I had enjoyed before, but it didn't last long. Before long I started to actually look forward to and crave water when I was thirsty. I actually think I had lived most of my life somewhat on the borderline of dehydration. I don't think I ever drank more than a small glass of just plain water. Instead I would drink coffee, tea, pop/soda, or sports drinks. Our bodies need water and they have to work extra hard to extract what they need out of the usual crap we drink. I'm still off soda to this day and I drink a good supply of spring water every day.

Regarding water, I should also note that our water supply is one of the reasons our intestines are in the bad shape they are in. If you ever really look at the junk that is in most municipal water supplies you might think twice about drinking it even filtered. People flush cleaning chemicals, prescription drugs, and many other things down their sewers and it gets 'filtered' and 'treated' with even more chemicals. This water is then sent right back out to come out of your tap. Unfortunately this treatment is not adequate to remove things that are inflammatory to the intestines. Even secondary home filtration systems don't do enough to make a difference. This is why spring water is ultimately the best choice out of our limited options. Spring water quality is going to depend on the source, but it is often far better than tap water or bottled drinking water (which is just filtered tap water). Spring water also contains trace minerals that are beneficial to your health. Distilled or reverse osmosis water is not good to drink because it actually will rob your body of trace minerals.

This diet I describe above was my diet for over 6 months, but less than a year. I was able to resume eating breads, sugars, and many other things once my body had healed, the candida was put in check, and allergy elimination techniques were used. I still limit the amount of processed foods that I eat because I know the harm that they cause now. I eat sugars in moderation and have a diet that is much more centered around fresh, organic fruits, veggies, and anti-biotic free meats. I buy spring water in bulk and use it for most of my cooking and all of my drinking.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics