beginning to wonder about perceived weakness

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

beginning to wonder about perceived weakness

Postby dont on June 7th, 2004, 1:21 pm

I've been thinking today that today my legs feel totally normal but my arms don't. Usually my right leg "feels" weak but today it is not. So even though a lot of you say that anxiety didn't BRING on BFS I wonder if all of the perceived weakness, stiffness, buzzing, etc.. isn't caused from anxiety after the fact because of looking up twitching and finding those three letters. Because even those who have had normal EMG's still have all the cluster of other symptoms that seem to go along with BFS and even those who have had clear EMG's are still anxious (most anyway still have bad days here and there) so I'm wondering that if all of it's not anxiety even it's on a subconcious level. Since I got busy at work the past few hours my arm hasn't even bothered me until I thought about it so I really wonder if all the stuff that goes along with the benign twitching isn't just anxiety provoked crap! What do you guys think?????

Karen
dont
Hero
Hero

Postby thetwitchkid on June 7th, 2004, 2:15 pm

Karen:

I agree with that thought process very much.
So.....
Basically, we are all nut cases !!, :lol:
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on June 7th, 2004, 2:44 pm

Karen,

I believe that all the crap that goes along with bfs falls into two categories. The first would be legitimate sx's such as cramping, muscle pain and even muscle fatigue and many others. The second group consists of some legitimate sx's that are exacerbated by anxiety, and also classic anxiety sx's. Some of the classic anxiety sx's would be like the lump in the throat (globus hystericus), apparent loss of coordination, trouble concentrating and so on. So I believe that BFS is a blend of the two conditions.

I have personally been told by two different neuros that anxiety does not cause bfs, but that is almost always a sx.

That's my for what it's worth.......

Gary
garym

Postby kent1915 on June 8th, 2004, 8:08 am

I concur with you Gary. I think that BFS is a nexus of sorts, coupling muscle pain, etc with anxiety. When you think about the stress that stress places on the muscles, it would stand then that whether caused by or a sx of it, anxiety plays a significant role in what we experience. Frankly I think what I experienced initially was more akin to a panic disorder versus generalized anxiety, but then that was me. There are my two twitching cents.
kent1915

Postby speg on June 8th, 2004, 8:38 am

Karen,

Ever since visiting this board and reading up, my legs have been feel weak and shakey. I was crutching the hand rails coming down the stairs yesterday! This did not happen two weeks ago . . .

Gary,

Not sure I disagree with your two neurologists or if I disagree with the statement "anxiety doesn't cause twitching." Maybe those of us who twitch due to stress don't have BFS? Maybe it is too different benign conditions? Why is it my twitching always follows periods of stress? Why is it that if you look up causes of muscle twitching stress is always listed? There are alot of doctors who claim stress is the culprit from what I have been told by family and friends. It just doesn't add up in my opinion.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on June 8th, 2004, 10:27 am

Peg,

I think we are both right, but maybe talking about two different things. I'm speaking of true fasciculations, and I guess i should have said that. What i suffer from are true fascics that show up on emg, many members on this board have posted that no fascics were seen on emg. Both neuros I've seen said they are not caused by anxiety (I wish they would have said it was anxiety, cause a pill can alleviate it). That being said, I know that twitching is a common side effect of anxiety (eyelids) and logically I can see why. If a person is tense all the time, it has to have an effect on muscles. I know that when I used to lift weights all the time, my muscles would twitch after a really hard workout. I don't think those are the same type of twitches that I have now.

Gary
garym

Postby speg on June 8th, 2004, 12:14 pm

Gary,

Your fasics showed up on the EMG? How can they determine the difference then between benign and diseased? Do most of the folks here have no fasics on the EMG?

I would think any muscle twitch would show up if it caused movement?

I have read that anxiety is most seen in the eyelid, calves and thumbs.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on June 8th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Gary,

Your fasics showed up on the EMG? How can they determine the difference then between benign and diseased? Do most of the folks here have no fasics on the EMG?

I would think any muscle twitch would show up if it caused movement?

I have read that anxiety is most seen in the eyelid, calves and thumbs.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby dsiple on June 8th, 2004, 12:22 pm

My fasics in my right arm showed up on the EMG.
dsiple

Postby garym on June 8th, 2004, 1:06 pm

Peg,

I'm not sure how they tell the difference between benign and diseased fascics on emg. If i were to guess, I would say that the absence of other abnormalities (fibrillations and so on) indicate a benign process. Again, that is strictly conjecture. I've had three different emg's, and they all showed fascics and all three drs. said benign.

Take care,
Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics