Familial BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Familial BFS

Postby speg on June 6th, 2004, 6:07 pm

I called my brother yesterday. He is three years younger than me, and we share alot of the same physical "quirks." Anyway, I remembered a time about five years ago when he mentioned he was worried about ALS to me. He said he had "fasiculations" and I had never heard that term until then. I was also twitching at the time, but after reading about ALS in the newspaper, I convinced myself I had MS because ALS just didn't seem to fit. I went to the DR and was diagnosed with anxiety. Everything went away after about a year -- until last week. I started twitching in one leg, and came here and for some reason, developed a fear of ALS. I called my brother and mentioned it to him. He said no need to even see a doctor unless I get weakness. His doctor told him it was stress-related, common, and not to worry unless other things are going on. His fasics have been going on now for five years and he is fine. Perhaps we are both anxious, both have BFS, or both -- but it can run in families apparently???

peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Brian_B on June 7th, 2004, 2:15 am

my dad often has calf twitches. I often wonder since he was in Vietnam war if he couldve been exposed to something that caused it and then he passed it on to me.
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Bradford on June 7th, 2004, 12:23 pm

Funny that our siblings have the same stuff. I too have brother who has muscle fasics. Even more interesting is that my Mom has complained of muscle cramps and vibration sensations in her calves. Both my Mom and Dad are in the late 60's and very healthy and active. I have no history on either side of my family with ALS.

Familial ALS doesn't skip a generation. It is usually seen in the male gender and is then very rare. It is even more rare in the female gender.
Usually it is seen in the grandfather then the father, then the sons and their brothers if and when it rears its ugly head.

From what I've read, unless you have history in your family with the disease, any ALS is usually considered "acquired" just like the rest of the general population. I don't know how a sex change would figure into the equation? :D
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 8th, 2004, 8:43 am

I think fasics are more common than we think and probably one of those family "quirk" things . . . we need to keep in mind that not everyone with fasics runs to the neuro to get officially diagnosed or surfs the Internet for answers and posts their experiences here or elsewhere.

My brother accepted what his GP said and that was that.

But here I am -- getting myself worked up!!!

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics