Atrophy spotted

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Atrophy spotted

Postby YYYYT on June 6th, 2004, 2:56 pm

well, I think this is it. I was looking at my tongue in the mirror and I noticed on the left side, toward the back, it goes inward toward an angle, whereas the right side is straight. It's no coincidence since my tongue has been feeling funny on the left side. It feels raw, sometimes it aches and sometimes there is a burning sensation.
YYYYT

Postby dwl on June 6th, 2004, 3:30 pm

Been there, done that!

It's probably only indentations from your teeth. Tongue atrophy mainly affects the centre bit of the tongue and looks like great big dimples or depressions. More importantly, it is always accompanied by real problems speaking AND swallowing. Aching and burning are nothing to do with tongue atrophy but are plenty to do with thinking about your tongue all the time.

The less often you look at your tongue in a mirror the quicker it will feel normal again.

Really. Trust me on this one.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on June 6th, 2004, 8:54 pm

I second that advice David!

Gary
garym

Postby YYYYT on June 7th, 2004, 3:12 pm

It's on the left side of my tongue....it looks like it swerves in, either that or the middle side of my tongue is swollen out. Sometimes my speech feels uncomfortable, but I can still move my tongue around, yet.
YYYYT

Postby dwl on June 7th, 2004, 4:44 pm

I have EXACTLY that! It's annoying, isn't it? I have pretty much constant tongue twitching too :-(

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby dwpierce on June 7th, 2004, 8:34 pm

Me too

But it is my right side
I constantly find myself playing with it. Developed quite an obsesson in hte last year. Cracks on the sides. Even looks like it is smooth at times on that side then a few days later looks beter. Aways fells thick out of place. But my family now for the last yr has been telling me my speaking is fine and no swallowing problems thus far. Just wish I could wake up and forget it. Every morning it is the first thing I check.
Dave
dwpierce

Postby Pole on June 8th, 2004, 2:10 am

I have that kind of fears behind me. I was also 100% SURE that I have tongue atrophy. I show it to neuro and he said that there is no atrophy and if I see real tongue atrophy (in someone else's case) I wouldn't be afraid about my situation.

YYYYT,
before visible atrophy apears real speaking and swallowing problems would be obvious. Believe me.

Marcin
Pole
Hero
Hero

Postby YYYYT on June 8th, 2004, 2:14 pm

DWL, the back of my tongue, on the left side looks like it was sliced with a knife.

I don't know if it was always like that, or if it's swollen, or if it's atrophy. I would guess atrophy, because it feels awkward when I say my d's or t's, but not necessarily all the time. Could it be from me pushing my tongue against my cheeks, or jiggling my tongue around as fast as I can? all I can remember is that a few weeks ago, I started doing all these tongue testing things on myself because I bit my tongue, but I don't remember any real problems before. I've had widespread twitching for almost 6 months now, and I'm waiting for something to pop up, and I think it's the tongue. I haven't even studied for my finals because what's the use when you're going to die?
YYYYT

Postby dwl on June 8th, 2004, 4:33 pm

Tongue atrophy looks like hollowed-out dimples, not a sliced out appearance. Maybe you could make yourself go 48 hours without looking at your tongue in the mirror and see how that goes?

If you had tongue atrophy you would not be able to swallow water properly without choking and other people would be commenting on your speech.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

My atrophy encounter

Postby RexM on June 8th, 2004, 5:35 pm

When I was in the worst phase of my ALS fears [after I found the Google reference to ALS, but before I actually saw the neuro], I saw clear cut places of atrophy on my arms.....to the point where I started wearing long sleeve shirts all day and night so I wouldn't have to look at them.

When I pointed these places out to my neuro, they were explained to me as:
1] normal low spots on my elbow areas, and
2] normal indentations in muscle areas which I had never noticed before I started examining every square inch for atrophy.
Obsession and anxiety plays strange tricks with our minds.
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Atrophy in arm

Postby DCGuy on June 9th, 2004, 5:57 am

I also went through the atrophy thing for a couple months last year. My right (dominant) tricep is noticeably smaller than my right, which I of course only noticed after I had started twitching, and therefore thought they were related. This difference (confirmed by one neuro) convinced me of ALS.

A second neuro, experienced with ALS/MS, said he wasn't convinced it was actual atrophy, and could just be muscle differences, which an EMG confirmed. I have full strength in both arms a year later and my twitching is reduced, so obviously it turned out to be nothing.

I would let a trained neurologist determine what is atrophy and what is not, and get the appropriate tests/second opinions as necessary. These guys go to school for years to study these conditions, and know a lot more of this stuff than we do.
DCGuy

Postby YYYYT on June 9th, 2004, 5:03 pm

before visible atrophy apears real speaking and swallowing problems would be obvious. Believe me.>>>

for how long would you have to have speaking problems before atrophy shows up? If I had speaking problems, would I still be able to move my tongue around? It wouldn't make any sense to have speech problems, and a normally moving tongue, would it? You don't just slur for no reason, but because your tongue is weak, right?

I don't have any audible problems, but I do feel uncomfortable talking, and when I'm anxious it's even worse. One thing I do know is that I bit my tongue a few weeks ago, almost a month ago, and then I started doing all the tests on my tongue. I thought to myself that if I kept doing it, I'd start having tongue problems because it happened before, only not as bad.

I feel very doomed
YYYYT

How long

Postby terryg on June 10th, 2004, 6:44 am

yyyyt

How long have you been twitching? I looked at you old posts and you mentioned you had breathing problems at one point and then they cleared up. That is impossible if you had a bulbar presentation. Have you had an EMG? What have the doctors told you?

No self dooming allowed! You have to *beep* off an evil wizard first.

Take care
Terryg
terryg

Re: How long

Postby YYYYT on June 10th, 2004, 10:09 am

I've been twitching since early January. I had breathing problems back in February but I think it was because of breathing in mold, sinus, and possibly acid reflux. I then had swallowing problems that went away, but they were probably due to acid reflux, which I have a bad problem with.

when I went to the doctor he said the twitches were anxiety after I explained about my anxiety problems. he recommended anti-anxiety medications, but no way.

I haven't had an EMG, and I don't want to.
YYYYT

Postby terryg on June 10th, 2004, 11:13 pm

yyyyt

"So first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself, nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed effort ....." FDR

Take care,
Terryg
terryg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics