Hypnic jerks...

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hypnic jerks...

Postby Mbdavis1976 on October 17th, 2011, 9:46 am

hi all,
anyone else have problems with hypnic jerks (those annoying muscles spasms just as you're relaxing and trying to fall asleep)? I've been going through a flare of my BFS for a few weeks and the last 2-3 nights have been tough getting to sleep. I took some Ambien but now might be wondering if that is actually making the hypnic jerking worse because it definitely didn't help me fall asleep. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice?
Thanks,
mbdavis
Mbdavis1976
Interested
Interested

Re: Hypnic jerks...

Postby chrissi on October 17th, 2011, 10:54 am

Yes, very bad. Comes and goes. I even had my feet and hand jerk while I was sitting all relaxed in my chair...
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby bobajojo on October 17th, 2011, 12:33 pm

I had terrible hypnic jerks that started after 3 months of twitching. Now (2 months later), I get "sleep startles" which feels like adrenaline rushes in my chest just as I'm drifting off to sleep. So frustrating. Muscle relaxers seem to help. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby House on October 17th, 2011, 2:02 pm

Hypnic jerks are caused and fueled by stress and anxiety... so the best way to solve it is to find out what's bothering you... what's causing all that anxiety in you and when you find the cause... just try to calm down and tell yourself that everything is ok... sometimes when i get them... i'll just yell at myself inside my head: "Shut the F*ck up!!! I'm trying to sleep!!! which actually works!!! LOl
House
Interested
Interested

Postby wanderer on October 17th, 2011, 4:03 pm

your not alone mine started with the jerks then the twitches came later. They are bloody evil!
wanderer
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby glitterwater on October 17th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Yes, I've SUFFERED from both hypnic and myoclonic jerks. If they get as bad as mine did, there is medication available.

As far as the Ambien, it helped mine the 2 or 3 times I took it. But, everyone's different. There is discussion about the Z-drugs at benzobuddies.org and by British neurologist Heather Ashton at her site. Google her name.
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Simonaa on October 19th, 2011, 7:51 am

I had that too, but for weeks they are away myoclonus

are Mycolonus and Jerks the same thing???
Simonaa
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mattdunn82 on October 21st, 2011, 9:33 am

Happened to me a couple times but related to when I had very horrible spell of exhaustion combined with days of sleep deprivation.
Just as you are about to fall asleep, you get 'jerked' awake.

Defnitely stress induced.
mattdunn82

Postby kstoruk on October 31st, 2011, 3:03 pm

Jerks while awake are not normal ... I mean myoclonus can't men anything good wether it's associated with bfs or not.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics