women's BFS things....

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

women's BFS things....

Postby chrissi on October 4th, 2011, 4:25 am

Has anyone else here noticed that BFS symptoms correlate with the time of your cycle? I was brought to hospital twice by my hubby because I was complely stiff, shaking all over and in huge pain, I could hardly walk. Each time, one or two days later my period would start. I noticed an immense flare up of symtoms last month and this month..the same. Twitching like mad, lots of pain and immense tremors for 3 days and then my period would start and the symptoms would improve....Did BFS join my PMS??
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Re: women's BFS things....

Postby MissBehavin on October 4th, 2011, 6:32 am

I have the same thing and so do a few other women on here. If you look on a forum called power surge (about menopause) you will see others. I was told two years ago that I was in perimenopause, and it's been almost one year since my BFS started.
MissBehavin
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jennract on October 4th, 2011, 8:10 am

Chrissi- my symptoms are much worse before so I think there is a correlation.
jennract

Postby mommylondon on October 4th, 2011, 10:06 am

I used to get very upset every month when I knew it was on its way because I knew my BFS was going to flare....the symptoms were much worse and walking was quite difficult for me, and pain and twitching would sky rocket....Hormones will absolutely mess with BFS... :evil:
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby johnnythejet on October 4th, 2011, 11:07 am

I know what you mean.

I also see an increase in my symptoms when my wife is PMS'ing.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :P
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Wells05 on October 4th, 2011, 11:22 am

John I love it, to funny!!! You are the greatest! yes I so twitch more when it's the lovely time of the month! Ash
Wells05
Hero
Hero

Postby kstoruk on October 4th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Yea, usually arguments get messy when the wife is pmssing :)
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Postby Lene on October 17th, 2011, 6:19 am

chrissi wrote:Has anyone else here noticed that BFS symptoms correlate with the time of your cycle? I was brought to hospital twice by my hubby because I was complely stiff, shaking all over and in huge pain, I could hardly walk. Each time, one or two days later my period would start. I noticed an immense flare up of symtoms last month and this month..the same. Twitching like mad, lots of pain and immense tremors for 3 days and then my period would start and the symptoms would improve....Did BFS join my PMS??

Nope, not here....
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Lene on October 17th, 2011, 6:20 am

kstoruk wrote:Yea, usually arguments get messy when the wife is pmssing :)

This is one of the most stupid cliches that exist... ;-)
Twitching évery minute since end of 1988........
Lene
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby raindog on October 19th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Period ! :lol:
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby Shanny63 on October 19th, 2011, 9:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: enough said!
Shanny63
Saint
Saint

Postby Aingealag on April 15th, 2013, 9:41 pm

I know this thread ended a long time ago, but I searched for "hormones" and ended up here. Thought I'd continue instead of starting a new topic.

2 days ago, I got a MAJOR surge of sensory issues and numbness in toes and fingers and a slight flare up in twitches. I had been doing so well lately, almost no symptoms for the past 1.5 months, so I was a little scared of the suddenness and aggressiveness of the symptoms. I was never really scared of ALS, but have been scared of MS.

But then yesterday I remembered the last time I had such a violent flare up... the last time I had my period!! That was in early February (I stopped the pill then and it's taken this long to get my natural cycle back). And what do you know, just got my period. Amazing isn't it, what our hormones can do...

So has anyone ever researched the effect of hormones on BFS? Since it seems for most of us women we get a flare-up right before our period (that's the luteal phase of our cycle, when there is a surge of progesterone -a hormone men and women both have-), you'd think there is at least a connection worth looking into? I know I have a hormone imbalance, maybe others with BFS do too? Including the gentlemen?
Aingealag

Postby Jujulia on April 15th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Good question, Aingealag! I'm twitching every day, BUT things are definitely worse during my PMS. Obviously it has something to do with hormones...
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby mommylondon on October 19th, 2013, 11:03 pm

Guys dont have the same fluctuations in hormones like women do and hormone fluctuations can have an affect on the nervous system... so it only makes sense that women would notice an increase in neurological symptoms at that time of the month..

Those are my thoughts any ways when that time of the month hits and my symptoms increase..

ML :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby shell67 on October 20th, 2013, 8:33 am

I love this thread! I've been wondering about the connection between hormones and BFS, too, as my BFS corresponds directly to a shift in hormones for me. In my case, the shift came about because 1) I'm nursing my one year old, and nursing causes a depletion of estrogen 2) I'm 46 and entering that lovely phase known as perimenopause.

What often happens when estrogen increases or decreases is that levels of cortisol increase. Increased levels of cortisol can lead to all kinds of crazy symptoms -- perhaps even BFS. That's my theory about what's going on with me. I keep hoping I'll feel better once I get my period again (it's been over two years without), although who knows? I'm an old lady, and this might be it for me...oh joy!!
shell67

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to General Topics