Page 1 of 2

visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:47 am
by kstoruk
Anybody that has visual symptoms like sparks, squggly lines and flashing lights had more advanced testing like goldmann perifery tesing or electroretinogram? I'm planning to ask this from my ophtalmologist, my eye exams are always normal but my visual stuff keeps changing and adding to the old symptoms, recently i also have a persistent inflammation in my right eye that looks a lot llike episcleritis that's itchy and painful...

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 9:18 am
by jcrissman2
I'm 39 and have had migraines since I was 15. I've probably had about 20 of them in my life. They generally start the same way - a fuzzy dot in my vision like what you see if you stare at a light for a while. Sometimes some sparkly things. Then my peripheral vision starts to disappear slowly, like I'm slowly walking into the mouth of a tunnel. Then I go completely blind.

Sometimes I don't go completely "lights out" blind. Sometimes I have this thing where I can see things but I can't focus on them or something. Not sure how to describe it, but as an example I was trying to set my alarm clock one time when it was happening and I couldn't tell if the red light was on or not. I had to switch it on and off about 20 times before I was confident I turned it on instead of off.

I've never had nausea from a migraine though which I'm glad for. I used to work with a guy that would vomit every time he had one. That would suck.

Migraines run in my family. Father and siblings all experience the same thing.

Other eye issues - I've had floaters for years and years, which is a nuisance because I sometimes mistake them for the onset of a migraine. Several years ago I also had a period of about a year where my eyes would be ridiculously red at night. Took my son to the doctor at night one time and the doctor looked at me and said, "Do you have pink eye!?!". It was that bad. I went to an ophthalmologist who switched me to daily disposable contact lenses and gave me steroid drops which I used for a week. It's been several years and have had no problems with dry eyes since.

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm
by chicagobfs
Sounds like kind if migraine, and did you test for Lyme or not? And which one if you did. I remembered you tried antibiotics though.
Sev

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 29th, 2011, 6:35 pm
by johnny999
do your eyes flash outdoors or mainly indoors only ?

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 10:53 am
by kstoruk
Im pretty sure its not migraine because its 24/7, so somethin is going on with my eyes or optic nerve, i tend to believe its the eyes because i have thos issues in both eyes but at different times.

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: July 30th, 2011, 12:21 pm
by jcrissman2
Fibromyalgia, which I believe to be on the same spectrum as BFS and CFS can exhibit as frequent or constant migraines. Also, migraines do not have to be painful - it's not uncommon for them to just exhibit aura like visual disturbances:

http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headache ... -migraines

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 11:14 am
by kstoruk
This visual stuff is eating away at my sanity, when i look at my monitor is like watching an old flick at the cinema with the transient dust, hairs and other garbage that last a fraction of a second, how can i think is all fine when I'm reminded every second something's wrong ... i have checked my retina and eyes twice but the doctor finds nothing by standard slit lamp examination ...

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: August 9th, 2011, 5:10 pm
by RandyR
I've had all of this visual crap and It sucks bad. If you don't beleive me pm mommylondon, back when I used to talk to her I complained about it everyday.

I've seen sparks, snow, lines, auras, temporary blind spots, and double vision on the computer screen and TV. It's scary, but like you my eye doc has checked everything and says Anxiety!

I hate the word anxiety, I could go into the doc right now with a railroad spike sticking out of my head and he would say anxiety, and he would say stay off the med websites. I do stay off them, this is the only place I come too. But it is what it is, Anxiety. Wheres the smily that is vomiting....

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 4:15 am
by Watereddown
jcrissman2 wrote:I'm 39 and have had migraines since I was 15. I've probably had about 20 of them in my life. They generally start the same way - a fuzzy dot in my vision like what you see if you stare at a light for a while. Sometimes some sparkly things. Then my peripheral vision starts to disappear slowly, like I'm slowly walking into the mouth of a tunnel. Then I go completely blind.


Can someone please explain this to me. It happened to me the other day, and I already got some reassurance from a vet (thanks sue!), but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this? This pretty much happened to me, peripheral vision disappeared slowly as if someone had came up to me and took a picture with a big flash while I was in complete darkness (but i wasn't). Went partially blind where I could barely make out anything on my desk for a good 10 seconds, then saw dots for like a good five minutes. I was pretty panicked at the time, but now just curious about what could've caused it. Could this have been a symptom of anxiety? Although I didn't feel too stressed out, I began having heart palpitations again right before that, which is my bodies way of telling me I'm getting anxious. Thanks!

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 4:50 am
by Yuliasir
Watereddown,
according to your description, you had typical so called optical migraine in form of scinitllation scotoma. it measn that you see a kind of flashing image spreading through your vision field and making everything distorted as on old TV screen etc. usually it lasts for several minutes.
Migraine of that type (and any other by the way) is believed now to be a kind of focal hyperexcitation porocess similar to epilepsy in nature. Regular epilepsy affects motor zones and people have involuntary seizures, or have their activity switched off (so called petit mal or small event, or abscance). So called templar epilepsy, affecting hearing zone, causes people to hear music, voices etc (not therating voices like in psychosis but just bits of somethign heard once, usualyy speach or TV advertizing or so). Hyperexcitation focus located in visual zone of the brain causes those flashlights, dots and other visual hallucinations, sometimes with subsequent faint pain. It is STRONGLY stress related. Since people are seldom got in the MRI device in that state, it is hard to day if vascular spasms are involved, but probably yes considering temporary blackouts. They also are considered as transient ishemia episodes (lack of blood supply to the related part of brain). However they seem not to affecting sight quality afterwards.

That is why modern treatment of painless visual migraines involves anitepi drugs with good result.

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 2:43 pm
by Watereddown
Yuliasir wrote:Watereddown,
according to your description, you had typical so called optical migraine in form of scinitllation scotoma. it measn that you see a kind of flashing image spreading through your vision field and making everything distorted as on old TV screen etc. usually it lasts for several minutes.
Migraine of that type (and any other by the way) is believed now to be a kind of focal hyperexcitation porocess similar to epilepsy in nature. Regular epilepsy affects motor zones and people have involuntary seizures, or have their activity switched off (so called petit mal or small event, or abscance). So called templar epilepsy, affecting hearing zone, causes people to hear music, voices etc (not therating voices like in psychosis but just bits of somethign heard once, usualyy speach or TV advertizing or so). Hyperexcitation focus located in visual zone of the brain causes those flashlights, dots and other visual hallucinations, sometimes with subsequent faint pain. It is STRONGLY stress related. Since people are seldom got in the MRI device in that state, it is hard to day if vascular spasms are involved, but probably yes considering temporary blackouts. They also are considered as transient ishemia episodes (lack of blood supply to the related part of brain). However they seem not to affecting sight quality afterwards.

That is why modern treatment of painless visual migraines involves anitepi drugs with good result.


Thanks for the reply Yuliasir!

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 3:30 pm
by RGB
Watereddown wrote:
Thanks for the reply Yuliasir!


Yes, a good reply but I'd also see a doctor if I were you. Any sudden loss of vision is worth seeing a doctor for, especially as it can be associated with problems of blood supply to the eye.

I don't want to scare you (especially as you are already anxious!) but this really is one of those 'precautionary' issues that is very unlikely to be serious but still worth mentioning to your GP.

I'm writing this as a non-expert just like everyone else here (apart from those with the letters 'DOC' or 'MD' in their ID :) ).

RGB

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 4:46 pm
by Little Lost
Hello,

Of course RGB is right and vision is not to be messed about with need to see your gp but you probably know this.

As a regular sufferer of ocular migraine it is rule of thumb that vision should not darken but lighten. People describe it as looking through a cracked mirror in bright sunlight. Also the vision changes with disturbance in middle moving from centre to peripheral. Following vision usually comes numbness in limbs, inability to recall words, inability to read, period of confusion and even hallucination, then the nausea and tiredness. This sequence is pretty much standard as the disturbances to vessels move through different areas of the brain. There are many websights dedicated to migraine art, as people try to describe what they see using camera effects and drawings etc. Looking at them may give you an idea if that is what you see. Doesn't sound like it is though. Lewis Carroll had terrible migraine aura and they said that this aided him to write Alice in wonderland (sure there were other reasons also.

Have you thought about the possibility of a condition called Visual Snow. Described as the persisting seeing of snow or television static across the field of vision,worse in the dark. It is safe to Google . Also examples of what patients see on YouTube.
Helen

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 5:27 pm
by Watereddown
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess I should explain how it all occurred. After the superbowl I jumped on my laptop and proceeded to go on reddit. As i was reading an article, I realized the screen was really dim so i turned the brightness of my laptop to its fullest. After about thirty seconds of staring at my screen like this, I began to feel the same effects as if someone had came up to me and taken a flash photography. Everything just went bright for a good 10 seconds. I had trouble making out labels on my desk. After rubbing my eyes and trying to refocus, my vision came about, however, I did see little red dots afterwards for about 5 minutes until those too disappeared. After doing some research i stumbled upon flash blindness, but dont know if that is what caused it. Thanks for all the replies.

Re: visual symptoms

PostPosted: February 5th, 2014, 5:38 pm
by RGB
Watereddown wrote:After about thirty seconds of staring at my screen like this, I began to feel the same effects as if someone had came up to me and taken a flash photography.


OK, that sounds less serious than temporary-blindness that comes 'out of the blue'.

Of course your other problem is that you should avoid the Superbowl and watch some proper sport like cricket :)

RGB (English!)