Anybody had a muscle biopsy?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anybody had a muscle biopsy?

Postby Bradford on May 4th, 2004, 4:29 pm

I guess, eveyone at this site has had at least one EMG, MRI, and maybe even a CT scan, but I haven't seen a whole lot or response about muscle biopsy.

When all is said and done and all the other tests have been performed,
the muscle biopsy is usually the next step especially when the symptoms persist.

Has anyone had one and what were the results? If not, any insight why not? All the other tests are used to rule out neurological etiology, but doesn't make sense to rule out muscular eitiologies before digging in and
dealing with the symptoms when help may well be available?

Please give me your thoughts.

Brad
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

muscle biopsy and ck level

Postby scaredtom on May 4th, 2004, 10:29 pm

Hi,

Well, I just got back a test report that showed my ck up to 540. This stinks. This is the highest it's been - it was in the 250 to 350 level before. So the note on the report from from my GP gave a name of a new neuologist and I think they may want to do a biopsy as you suggest. So if this happens I'll be letting you know. Not looking forward to it. I've had a negatice EMG and NCS and all negative exams. I still have the stupid fascics. Mostly in my calves and feet.

We'll see!
Tom
scaredtom

Postby PDR on May 11th, 2004, 11:09 am

I had one done 4/20/04

Waiting Results....i'll let you know
PDR

Postby PDR on May 20th, 2004, 2:51 pm

OK foks - Muscle Biopsy Results:

Everything normal except:

Myoadenylate Deaminase

Normal Range 0.11 - 0.87
Mine 0.27
Interpretation: Myoadenylate deaminase activity is 55% of normal mean. Patient may be a carrier for this enzyme deficiency.

-------------

Neuo says this may be the cause for the myalgia, cramps and excercise intolerance. Told me to eat lots of carbs before exercise, hydrate, avoid exercise in heat, and decrease intensity and duration. Not likely a progressive metabolic process. Said no need to have the kids tested if asymptomatic. Fasciculations are not part of this - he says----everyone gets fasciculations. I think he wanted to put this to bed.

-------------

Bottom line is I have the enzyme, but not as much as normal. I've read 15% of the general population has a 50% reduction in this enzyme, and it does not effect endurance. Also, 1-2 % of the population actually has a deficiency.

------------

Interesting also that this may be associated with FIBROMYALGIA. Enjoy searching the net on this one.

-------------

Treatment : I've found reference to high dose RIBOSE.

Have a great day!!!!
PDR

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics