Do I need an EMG

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Do I need an EMG

Postby Mike on April 19th, 2004, 3:22 pm

Greetings,

I just found this site, and appreciate all I have read. Two weeks ago I was convinced I had ALS, now I am TOTALLY convinced I have BFS. I have fatigue in my legs and fasc. in my lcalves and egs mostly, but some in my arms. I have no muscle wasting associated with ALS. I had an MRI that was negative. I have an EMG scheduled for May 19, but really don't think it is necessary. From what I read, ALS fasc. only occur with muscle atrophy. My neuro exam was fine. Should I save costs associated with an EMG, accept that I have BSF and try to relax about it all?

Also, I read where some folks continue to exercise. I feel too weak in my legs to bike as much as I used to (100+) a week. Is this all in my head?

Thank you to all and any who respond!

Mike
Mike

Postby thetwitchkid on April 19th, 2004, 3:26 pm

Mike :

I would continue with the EMG. Spend the money. In the long run,mentally, you will be better off with a EMG diagnosis.
Good luck and welcome to BFS. :wink:
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Do I need an EMG

Postby garym on April 19th, 2004, 3:40 pm

Mike,

The answer to if you should have an emg lies within yourself and your dr. If you will feel comfortable without one, and your dr. doesn't think one is necessary, don't do it. If having one is going to put your mind at ease, it may be worth it. It has been my experience that the emg helps to relieve anxiety, but doesn't stop it (for me personally). This is just a condition that fosters anxiety. If anxiety isn't a problem for you, be thankful and move on.

As for you legs, mine got slammed by this also. My thighs fatigue in an instant any time I do any physical activities. It is what many here call "exercise intolerance". Luckily, some members don't suffer from this, as it does add another dimension to the whole BFS experience. So i would say it isn't all in your head, there are to many people here with similar sx's.

Good luck,
Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on April 19th, 2004, 6:04 pm

I'm with Gary...

Many people come on this site stating that they feel better, but in a few days or weeks the old fear returns. So you have to decide where you fit in to this catagory...

I have never had one, and it took a long time before I got over thinking all the bad things that could be wrong with me. But eventually I did, time proved to heal those fears....but it did take a while!

Glad to hear you are mentally much better and welcome to the site!

Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Bradford on April 19th, 2004, 6:05 pm

Without a doubt keep your EMG appointment if it is with a board certified electromyographer-usually is a neurologist.

As my neuro told me, the test should be called "electrodiagnostic study" because it usually includes nerve conduction tests as well.

Point is that the test, when "clean" or negative can give assurance to the patient, but is also used to detect "treatable" abnormalties as well that could lead to a much higher quality of life from a health perspective.

Best regards
Bradford
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Mike on April 19th, 2004, 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the replies,

By the sounds of it, it will be a good idea to keep my appointment. I now plan on doing so.

Thanks again,

Mike
Mike

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics