Interesting link -- anxiety as a contributing trigger

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Interesting link -- anxiety as a contributing trigger

Postby BTS on April 14th, 2004, 10:55 am

Hello All,

As some of you may know from my posts, my fasciculations become MUCH WORSE when I start to worry and focus on them. Now, again, I'm not saying anxiety is the cause, but it exacerbates my symptoms profoundly.

Check this symptom quote out from this site....there are many other symptoms listed here too:

http://www.anxietycentre.com/panic_atta ... about.html

Uncontrollable muscle twitching
For no apparent reason, a particular muscle will begin to twitch. This twitching will continue for an unusual amount of time before it stops of its own accord. Sometimes it twitches so long it becomes sore, and may continue on and off for days.

Again, this is just for discussion, as I tend to agree with Arron on the "cause theory" but I cannot help but think that anxiety, in many instances, plays a key role in this problem. I'm not sure about all of you, but my twitches and hot spots seem to center around my emotional state, which lately, has been extremely anxious.

Interested in hearing all your thoughts...agree or disagree.

Have a good day!
BTS
BTS

Postby Heater on April 14th, 2004, 11:31 pm

I would agree that anxiety plays some role in the intensity of my twitches. Much of my anxiety as of late has been due to the twitching, and when I was most stressed about it, they seemed worse. As I become less distressed over it, they seem less noticeable, although I'm not sure if the frequency is any less, or I'm just not paying as much attention to them.

I'm not convinced that anxiety had much of a role in bring all of this on though, as I had a very stressful seven month period of work, covering for my boss as well as doing my own job but the twitching didn't start until well after things got back to normal and my workload returned to sane levels again.
Heater

Postby Margo on May 19th, 2004, 10:39 am

I am new to this site and I think my anxiety over this has taken over. One website about BFS said the best thing you could do is to treat the underlying anxiety FIRST. I have no other symptoms other than the generalized muscle twitching and occasional aches and pains. I have also read that certian anxiety medications also make the twitching worse. This is definitely not something I want to experience. ANy ideas?
Margo
Margo

Anxiety

Postby RexM on May 19th, 2004, 11:14 am

NO doubt that anxiety jacks up my symptoms dramatically. I've had periods where I was distracted by life's non stressful occurrences , and I've had minimal symptoms, then something would happen which would focus my attention on "the condition", and my anxiety would return, and within hours so would the increased twitching and pains.
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on June 6th, 2004, 6:00 pm

I may be the odd one out, but I totally think anxiety/stress can bring on twithcing in certain/some people. There are alot of doctors who agree with me from what I have read/heard including my own. I have OCD and GAD and am a hypochondriac. My brother is the same and we both have twitching. My last episode with twitching (MS scare that time) was 5 years ago after I had a major life stressor. It went into remission until recently (another life stressor) and although ALS is my scare this time, I also recently feared a few other diseases. I am very sensitive to SSRI's and they increase my twitching. I am not speaking for everyone here, but I think to rule out anxiety/stress as one of many causes of twitching is irresponsible. Feel free to disagree, but my twitching started the day after I read an article in People magazine about ALS. C'mon folks! Anxiety is a powerful thing!
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby seeking_calm on June 6th, 2004, 6:34 pm

Heater wrote:I would agree that anxiety plays some role in the intensity of my twitches. Much of my anxiety as of late has been due to the twitching, and when I was most stressed about it, they seemed worse. As I become less distressed over it, they seem less noticeable, although I'm not sure if the frequency is any less, or I'm just not paying as much attention to them.

I'm the same way. If I'm distracted or preoccupied, my twitches are less noticeable or less severe. However, even when I'm relaxed in bed I still experience them. So I think anxiety can affect your "awareness" and severity of the twitch, but I agree...I don't think there is a change in frequency whether you are in calm or nervous state.

I justed wanted to add that last year I had a fast pulse rate and heart palpitations. My anxiety over having a heart attack made me feel so much worse and symptomatic. It wasn't until I got a clean bill of health from my blood tests and ECG that I calmed down. I still get an occasional palpitation, but it doesn't even bother me anymore. It's amazing how stress can affect your symptoms.
seeking_calm

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics