Educational campaign for primary care physicians

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Educational campaign for primary care physicians

Postby RexM on April 10th, 2004, 10:31 am

I've seen a recurring theme on this site that primary care physicians [and seemingly, some neurologists!] don't know about BFS and its accompanying symptoms. I know when I first went to my doctor, he just referred me to a neurologist without giving me any possible diagnosis. Even when I went back to see him for my regular checkup later, he seemed not to have any real awareness of the condition. Consequently, I took the occasion to send him copies of Aaron's "BFS in a nutshell" article, along with the article by Dr. Lawrence Hill which had been published in the "Annals of Internal Medicine".

Maybe my doctor is unusual, but he seemed grateful to learn about something he didn't know about before, and I feel I may have helped some future patient of his shortcut some of the anxiety I went through before learning about this condition on this website. I would encourage all of you to copy this material and give it to your doctors. Of course, some of them will be "know it all" jackasses who don't seem interested, but then, that's their problem. Even some of these may learn something in spite of themselves.
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby jcavan4125 on April 11th, 2004, 10:04 am

Hi RexM,
Excellent idea you have! I think most physicians would welcome the information. If they don't, you would probably be best finding another physician anyway.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby TheyDon'tBelieveMe on April 11th, 2004, 6:35 pm

I hate to be cynical, but I don't think most doctors would welcome information from a group of sufferers. The one thing most doctor's hate most is an educated patient. Doctors want to play god.
TheyDon'tBelieveMe

Postby Jenn311 on April 11th, 2004, 8:16 pm

If this is your experience with doctors you need to switch your own doctors, like Joe said. This isn't my experience at all.
J
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby sdibble on April 13th, 2004, 5:31 pm

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Jenn. I'm sorry that has been your experience with Drs. I have a great GP who admittedly knows nothing about BFS and asked me to bring in info the next time I see him (Mayo study and BFS in a nutshell). He also suggested I take it to my next neuro appt. as well. I think what Drs probably hate is when patients (like me!) get way too much info from the internet and assume it must all apply to us in some way. I've had these symptoms for almost 5 months now and wish I had trusted 'them' from the beginning instead of getting caught up in all the hysteria and anxiety. I sure feel a lot better now that I've calmed down and my symtoms are soooo much better. :lol: :D
Steph
sdibble

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics