just popping in for a quick update

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

just popping in for a quick update

Postby vanislegirl on September 3rd, 2009, 11:21 am

Hello all....Just popping in for a quick update on how I have been doing with my recovery.

I am 99% free of twitching and 100% free of cramps. I am feeling awesome, like my old self, and believe me, hindsight really is 20/20

I can now see how stress, worn down immune system, chronic worrying/anxiety, poor diet, weight gain and lack of exercise all contributed to enslaving my body in a "twitchy" state for 5 years. Since Feb/09 I have been on a fanatical mission to reclaim my health, and now I am reaping the benefits. Search my older posts to read my story. To summarize what I have done:

1. Weaned off 1500 mg day Gabapentin
2. Detox body by eliminating red meat and refined carbs, taking a supplement to boost glutathione in my body and rid of toxins (again, older posts)
3. Exercise!! First skiing (green runs only!), then walking (worked up to 5 kms/day) then cycling or boxing on my Wii Fit!
4. Yoga & prayer/meditation
5. Joined Sureslim and have lost 8 lbs so far....22 more to go!
6. Weaned off sleep medication....now take 100% Tart Montmorency Cherry Juice every night...it is a very tart syrup that you mix with water and drink before bed....contains naturally occurring melatonin and is also anti-inflammatory....sleep like a baby
7. Mostly, I have become ANAL about what I eat....only whole foods, lots of veggies, no junk, only occasional wine and no snacking between meals...plus lots of water.

8. The biggest thing that prompted me on this journey was reading "The Ultramind Solution" by Dr. Mark Hyman

I am still taking the Immunocal, but only once a day, and sometimes I miss a day.

What I have learned is that I acquired this syndrome, and I had to unacquire it, so to speak. I will always be prone to it, buy I can be on guard against it to safeguard myself from ever going through that again. I used to feel like I was 90 years old, now I feel better than I did before I turned 40 (I'm 46 now) It has taken a concentrated effort on my part, and the biggest hurdle was getting over the mental challenges that prevent us all from feeling better....fatigue, brain fog, depression, anxiety, etc. Once I felt empowered again to take charge of my brain, things started changing for me.

I would like to thank everyone for listening to me on and off over the years. I have always tried to encourage people here, and I hope I have done that. You are ALL in my prayers for a healthy recovery and a healthy, enjoyable life.....time for me to check out!

All the best to you!

Jeannie
Vancouver Island
British Columbia, Canada
vanislegirl

Re: just popping in for a quick update

Postby ed73 on September 3rd, 2009, 11:28 am

Thanks Jeannie,

vanislegirl wrote:and the biggest hurdle was getting over the mental challenges that prevent us all from feeling better....fatigue, brain fog, depression, anxiety, etc. Once I felt empowered again to take charge of my brain, things started changing for me.

Simply wonderful!

Congrats on your total recovery from BFS. I can relate to your feelings, It's so amazing to discover how your body responds properly to the right mental stimulus.

The best for you,

Eduardo
PROUD AMBASSADOR OF THE BFS COMMUNITY IN COLOMBIA
TWITCH PRO SINCE JUL-08
ed73
Hero
Hero

Postby highpriority4 on September 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm

Awesome!!

Thanks for the update & positive feedback!!

Nothing but the best to you,

~*~Amy~*~
Aint no, rhyme or reason, no complicated meanin'
Aint no, need to overthink it, let go laughin'
Life dont go, quite like we planned it, we try so hard to understand it
Irrefutable, indisputable, absoluteable, totally beautiful fact is, Psssh
It happens...
highpriority4
Saint
Saint

Postby vanislegirl on September 4th, 2009, 10:41 am

Thank you Amy & Ed, all the best to you as well, and thank you for your constant support and humour on this site.
vanislegirl

Postby twin2 on September 4th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Thank you for the update. These are among my favorite posts because they instill hope. And what is this board for?--hope and support. I like your natural approach to living with BFS. I had cut out a few "bad" things in my diet, but added many of them back in when it made no difference in symptoms. Maybe not the healthiest choice, but I am enjoying life. Didn't think I would ever be able to say that again.
twin2
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on September 4th, 2009, 6:22 pm

So glad to hear that you are 'clearing out'. Here's hope toward continued improvement. :)
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby TJM24 on September 4th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Wow! Amazing and encouraging to hear that the twitching can disappear for some people. I've gotten to a point of acceptance, figuring anything that's lasted 8 months is just going to continue. But I guess if it can start, it sure as hell can stop too.
TJM24
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics