More about accupuncture and a related treatment

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby BobbyCarlos on January 5th, 2004, 1:28 pm

:D After reading a few postings about success with accupuncture I decided I would try it one more time to address my BFS symptoms. I had tried accupuncture once before, over a year ago, with little, if any, improvement in symptoms. I went to a different practitioner this time and we had initial success but the effects did not last. He then tried a treatment I had never heard of. It involves the use of "moxa" sticks, which are essentially short incense sticks made from the mugwort plant. The idea is that these sticks, when burning (glowing, actually) are the only thing, besides ingested herbs, that can add "chi" to your meridian system. The process involves a diagnostic step followed by a treatment step. I'll go into more detail in a moment but suffice it to say that it has worked for me. Dramatically so.

Here's how it goes: The practitioner lights the moxa stick. To diagnose the level of chi in your system, he goes to each and every finger and toe where the meridians supposedly begin. Holding the stick within an inch of the toe- or finger-nail, he rapidly passes the stick back and forth over the area, counting how many strokes it takes before the patient reports feeling the heat, literally. The more strokes it takes for the patient to get a hot sensation, the lower the level of chi.

I have to say that I was skeptical when he described the procedure. I thought, "How am I not going to feel the heat from this burning incense stick held so close to my skin?" Well, in spite of my skepticism, it worked just as he said it would. On a few of my toes it required more than 50 passes with the glowing moxa stick for me to have any sensation of heat.

Using this approach, he pinpointed the meridians that were lacking chi and set about to restore my levels of chi. The process for doing this was precisely the same as the diagnostic approach, except that he repeats the waving-over-the-digit action on each digit until it requires 10 or fewer strokes for the heat to be felt. Following the treatment, he then reverted to using accupuncture needles to, as he puts it, "smooth out" my chi.

I have had three of these treatments, the last one was in early December. So far, the reduction in twitching has stuck. I will be going back on January 19 for another follow-up. I'll keep you posted.[/list]
BobbyCarlos

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics