Possible Mycoplasma link

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Possible Mycoplasma link

Postby John_JR on December 18th, 2003, 11:46 pm

Upon my on-going research, I came across an interesting read. Apparently these germs are similar to the bacteria that cause Lyme including similar symptoms of Lyme. Not surprising as many of Lyme's co-infections are Mycoplasma related. Oh, and they happen to be transmittable from person to person too - I find that very interesting for any of you that have followed my previous posts.

Although it doesn't directly mention twitching (but does mention neurological complications related to other major diseases like CFS, ALS, MD, and Fibro-M, including similar SPECT scan images of the brain).

Here's are some excerpts:
What they found was a living Mycoplasma pathogen. In order to find this organism, they had to break open the leukocytes (white blood cells), and perform a specific test called a Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) of the DNA of the organism.

It can cause infection deep within any or all organs. It can even cross the blood/brain barrier and cause brain and spinal infection.

- Here's a link to the site -
John R.
John_JR

Postby garym on December 19th, 2003, 10:54 am

John,

If you would, please re-post the link, it didn't come up for some reason. I would like to follow up on this idea, because I've come across a lot of info that suggest some type of infection within the CNS as well.

Gary
garym

Postby Jenn311 on December 19th, 2003, 11:11 am

http://www.shasta.com/cybermom/asimple.htm

Here's the link Gary....

I've just been reading about this. SOunds very interesting. The really funny thing is, I have been thinking a lot about the Mycoplasma link lately, because of my own chronic sinus infections. The only drug which I have found that keeps them in check is the Flouroquinolones, such as Levaquin or Cipro, which has also been named as a possible culprit to BFS on this forum. Flouroquinolones are also some of the only drugs that are effective against Mycoplasmas. Then if you consider that many of us have come down with these twitches etc. after taking these drugs, you may be able to link them to the so-called Herxheimer effect...

Maybe there is also a connection to the Gulf War Syndrome...I was never there, but my brother spent 10 years in Saudi Arabia and it was after he came to visit me that I first became afflicted with this BFS ca-ca.
That may also explain why so many people in the medical field are effected by BFS as well....they have many opportunities to come into contact with the mycoplasmas, which are apparantly fairly easily transmitted.

Good work on the research there John.

What do you think Gary??

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby thetwitchkid on December 19th, 2003, 2:27 pm

Has anyone or does anyone on our BFS site, plan to get the tests discussed in the linked article ? If so, please advise.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on December 22nd, 2003, 10:33 am

Jen,

Sounds possible. I'm going to post some info I gathered about CFIDS on another web site. It's long, but very interesting.

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics