The first Catwoman was dx with Charcot-Maire in her 70s

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby jro on February 14th, 2009, 12:10 pm

Googling again and found the following interesting info. I thought genetic disease like this would have to been known about early in life but this is a good example that this is not always the case. This women was a dancer and has the disease.

She has donated it to the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History for an exhibit opening in the fall.

These days, not all is purr-fect with the 5-foot-11 blond star.

For one thing, she's slowly being robbed of her ability to walk by an incurable neuromuscular disease called Charcot-Marie-Tooth. The disease, first described in 1886 by three French physicians, affects an estimated 2.6 million people.

"My symptoms started around 2000, when I found walking difficult," Newmar said. "About six months ago, the UCLA neurologist I've been seeing diagnosed it."

The grim prognosis came as a sharp blow. Newmar's 33-inch-long and still shapely legs - once insured for $1 million by Lloyds of London - have been her life-long trademark.

"Today, I walk - but very s-l-o-w-l-y," she revealed. "My balance is also affected.
jro
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics