Looking for a link........Aspartame (nutrasweet)

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Looking for a link........Aspartame (nutrasweet)

Postby garym on November 25th, 2003, 3:40 pm

While trying to make sense of this crap we call BFS, I continue to look for possible causes. The newest possibility I'm interested in is a link to nutrasweet (aspartame). As a diet coke addict, I use to consume a bunch of nutrasweet. I've recently found some info. that links aspartame to neurological problems, including muscle spasms and ALS type problems. How many of you consume diet drinks and other food sources with nutrasweet? If you do, maybe a break would help some of you.

Gary
garym

Postby thetwitchkid on November 25th, 2003, 4:43 pm

Gary:

I too thought of that connection. For 8 years I drank a HUGE amount of diet coke. Let us know if you find any info.

Thanks
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nole on November 25th, 2003, 6:39 pm

I use to drink ALOT of caffiene free diet coke and used asparatame products often, now I dont use them and twitches are almostnon existant...this could be an interesting study??
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarahtonin on November 26th, 2003, 4:26 am

Interesting theory but unfortunately I have virtually no artificial sweetners and I still twitch!! I drink diet coke occasionally.

Sarah
sarahtonin

Postby garym on November 26th, 2003, 1:23 pm

Good, let's keep this going. Sounds like it could be a possibility for some of us. It is amazing how much food has nutrasweet, almost everything that is sugar free.

I'll keep looking and report back with any new findings. You guys let me know of anything you might find.

Gary
garym

Postby SusanSid on November 27th, 2003, 2:04 am

Hi,
I was a diet coke addict for about 10 years. After reading about nutri sweet I stopped about a year and a half ago. My fasciculations are a bit less, but I have always wondered if there is a connection. It depends on where you get the info, the two side so not agree with one another. Keep us posted, I'm interested in any info.
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby nickic on November 27th, 2003, 2:26 pm

I have stopped drinking as much dc as I used to and also have completely cut down on caffeine. My twitching is now pretty non-existent. I cut down on the coke and tea about 1 month ago.

However I could still be twitching and not noticing as much as I am sooooooooooooooooooooo busy!!
nickic
Interested
Interested

Postby dwpierce on November 27th, 2003, 7:04 pm

I am a diet coke addict for sure

at least a 12pk a day

I drink it nostop at work being a baker it is hot all the time and the soda flows.
At home I have a mini frig in my pc room, cold dc on hand always hmmm

could this be a cause?
Dave
dwpierce

Postby Jenn311 on November 27th, 2003, 8:11 pm

A 12 pack a day? Wow, that is a lot!
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby garym on December 1st, 2003, 12:23 pm

Dave,

I was consuming close to 12 a day also (at work). Give it a break and see if you feel any better.

Gary
garym

Postby Twitchlots on December 2nd, 2003, 10:34 am

I have other experiences to tell about aspartame...it not only can cause neurological symptoms but other symptoms as well. Back in '93 I went on a diet and started using everything sugar-free---Jell-O, Gum, soda pop--everything. I began to have heart trouble...by that I mean terrible palpitations, also depression. I ended up at a university hospital for some tests and eveything was normal. This went on for three months. By coincidence while browsing in a bookstore, I saw a book called "Aspartame: Is It Safe?". I paged through it and was mortified to read the very symptoms from which I was suffering. I bought the book so I could read it and declared I'd never ingest aspartame again.

Also, a friend recently began having troubles for depression. On his first visit to his psychiatrist, that was among the first questions he asked him.

I strongly recommend that book or you can also do a search on aspartame and read some of the horrifying info about it.
Twitchlots

I thought about posting about Aspartame a while back...

Postby kevinhnc on December 2nd, 2003, 2:05 pm

I have noticed for months now that during periods of heavy aspartame consumption, my twitches get much worse, and during periods of low intake, they go away. The two seem directly correlated for me.

I try to drink non-aspartame drinks now whenever I can...I drink Diet-Rite all the time (sucralose only, no aspartame), and rarely have twitches anymore.

I can still have some aspartame, but if I begin to drink it regularly, my twitches start again.

Kevin H.
kevinhnc

aspartame or caffeine

Postby Silver Surfer on March 8th, 2004, 6:49 am

I would have thought that drinking huge doses of Coke would lead to fasciculations due to caffeine OD rather than sweeteners!
Silver Surfer
Silver Surfer

no connection for me

Postby RexM on March 10th, 2004, 12:07 pm

I use almost no artificial sweeteners. I also wonder about the caffeine connection, however. I do drink three cups of strong coffee every morning, and I can almost feel it kicking up the fascics. Unfortunately, I NEED my morning coffee.
RexM
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on March 10th, 2004, 5:27 pm

My neuro says caffeine can cause fascics. In fact, he says a normal person can sometimes exhibit fascics after morning coffee.

Gary
garym

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics