Timeframe ?

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Timeframe ?

Postby lostboy on December 15th, 2008, 3:06 am

Hi,
I was wondering if some of your neuro's gave you any timeframe, meaning if the twitching was due to *** when would you start to notice weakness?
My calves and feet really go 24/7 and really hard , all the time, I just can't believe this is not ALS
I feel them all the time!

Dieter
lostboy
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time
 
Posts: 190
Joined: November 11th, 2008, 5:28 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby sharon slack on January 30th, 2009, 3:31 am

Hey

According to the neuro I see twitching is not the first symptom on most occasions; You will find you have other symptoms and twitching is the result of the dying nerves.
Still twitching like a champion after 8 years!!.

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 855
Joined: September 22nd, 2006, 6:07 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby jeje3 on January 31st, 2009, 5:31 pm

Dieter, fascics in ALS may (rarely) be the first and only thing that patients are aware of, but a neuro exam will pick up issues in addition to fascics. Issues patients may not even have been aware of. Fasics only & normal clinical neuro exam = no ALS, not in 1 year or 2 months, but right away.
User avatar
jeje3
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 61
Joined: April 7th, 2008, 2:31 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby Pole on February 13th, 2009, 8:43 am

Hi everyone :mrgreen:

I'm here after a few years...I posted my first message in 2003...I was twitching a lot and I was sure I had ALS (you can read my old posts)...Now, after 6 years, I twitch from time to time but I'm sure that has nothing to do with ALS...twitching alone really means nothing...no weakness - no ALS...remember...

regards
marcin
User avatar
Pole
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 472
Joined: June 12th, 2003, 12:56 am
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby sharon slack on February 15th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Hey

Thanks, thats what a few people here need to help them move on. People from the past that are still fit and well, but unfortunately still being hit with a few twitches.

Thanks

Sharon
sharon slack
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 855
Joined: September 22nd, 2006, 6:07 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby tonyfeist on February 17th, 2009, 10:20 pm

I haven't looked at this site for years, started the twitching in early 2003, and was scared *beep* by a stupid googling of the symptoms, you all know what I mean. ... But it has come and gone over the years, but maybe I just don't notice it any more and above all have stopped worrying about it. Still get the occasional 'hot spot' but so what? I am otherwise quite OK and strong as ever, though noticing the encroaching years, but that's another story .... Tony :D
tonyfeist
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: October 19th, 2005, 1:06 am
Location: Perth Western Australia

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby fox2run on April 6th, 2009, 10:51 am

Timeframe: when you die of something else, you would know for sure that it wasnt als, that killed you... :wink:
fox2run
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 599
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:58 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby Dreamscape on April 6th, 2009, 11:55 am

I have read in a Neurology textbook that only about 6.7% of patients diagnosed with ALS presented with fasciculations as their primary symptom.
Dreamscape
Member
Member
 
Posts: 22
Joined: March 16th, 2009, 1:54 pm

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby Angst1986 on April 6th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Dreamscape wrote:I have read in a Neurology textbook that only about 6.7% of patients diagnosed with ALS presented with fasciculations as their primary symptom.


Okay, and how many of them were non-localized? I read that a bodywide onset of twitching actually can't even be an **S-symptom at all... Does your book say something about that? Just curious...
"Fear is only in our mind,
but it's taking over all the time."

- Evanescense, Sweet Sacrifice
Angst1986
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 258
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby fox2run on April 6th, 2009, 6:24 pm

6 % of a disease 1 out of 100.000 get. Thats something like 1 in 2 millions. If you are under 40 it will be 1 out of 20.000.000. And if we are talking widespread fascics then it is perhaps 1 out of 100.000.000. Perhaps even less. Well. Its not like I want to spoil your day, but its far far far more dangerous to take a ride in your car... Or even get out of bed....
fox2run
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 599
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:58 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby barbo4 on April 6th, 2009, 6:29 pm

I think I like those odds
barbo4
Senior Member
Senior Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: December 17th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby Blizna on April 9th, 2009, 2:18 am

Angst is right. Actually, the last research proved that the figure is about 13% but NOT WIDESPREAD. Not even one patient had fasciculations in more than one muscle group,i.e. innervated from the same anterion horn cell. Actually, the twitching is present during weakening as the muscle loses its innervation and if the weakness cant be detected (altough its present in its minimal form) patient really thinks he only twitch.
About the timespan - every month decreases the chance of getting ALS by 10% and it stops on 99% of course. After one year, there are only few cases described in almost 150 yrs history of ALS.
Blizna
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 303
Joined: August 22nd, 2007, 2:29 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby fox2run on April 9th, 2009, 5:35 am

So its closer to 0 than 1/100.000.000? Hmm perhaps I should find something else to worry about...
fox2run
Saint
Saint
 
Posts: 599
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:58 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby AndyTwitchalot on April 9th, 2009, 8:23 am

fox2run wrote:6 % of a disease 1 out of 100.000 get. Thats something like 1 in 2 millions. If you are under 40 it will be 1 out of 20.000.000. And if we are talking widespread fascics then it is perhaps 1 out of 100.000.000. Perhaps even less. Well. Its not like I want to spoil your day, but its far far far more dangerous to take a ride in your car... Or even get out of bed....


:D lol, thanks for the perspective foxrun
User avatar
AndyTwitchalot
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 270
Joined: March 3rd, 2007, 8:35 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Postby Chris_uk on April 9th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Blizna wrote:Angst is right. Actually, the last research proved that the figure is about 13% but NOT WIDESPREAD. Not even one patient had fasciculations in more than one muscle group,i.e. innervated from the same anterion horn cell. Actually, the twitching is present during weakening as the muscle loses its innervation and if the weakness cant be detected (altough its present in its minimal form) patient really thinks he only twitch.
About the timespan - every month decreases the chance of getting ALS by 10% and it stops on 99% of course. After one year, there are only few cases described in almost 150 yrs history of ALS.


hmmm see this is what bothers me, mine is not wide spread, never has been, always in my right calf, no where else ever apart from a tiny tiny few in my left calf
Chris_uk
Hero
Hero
 
Posts: 328
Joined: September 2nd, 2008, 7:17 am

Re: Timeframe ?

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Next

Return to General Topics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests