Had an EMG and NCS today!!!

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Had an EMG and NCS today!!!

Postby scaredtom on November 7th, 2003, 10:01 pm

Hi All,

I had my first EMG and NCS (nerve conduction study)today. They were negative, which is great!!! I thought also, I might describe the tests in detail.

The EMG was really quick and very simple. Almost totally painless. He did stick a tiny needle into you biut you hardly feel it and it's really not bad at all. This test took maybe 5 minutes.

The NCS was not as easy...it took longer and what they do is send impusles through your muscles, which make your muscles jump. I would say it's at least very annoying. Some of it reminded me of when you hit your elbow ...your "funny bone".

The bottom line is that the EMG was really nothing and that the NCS was a pain in the butt.

But.....for me it was great to negative test results. So, after 14 months of fasciculations, I guess it's BFS for sure.

Tom
scaredtom

Postby jcavan4125 on November 7th, 2003, 10:10 pm

Congratulations Tom, that's great news!
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SusanSid on November 9th, 2003, 2:53 am

Tom,
That is absolutely terrific!! Thanks for sharing.
Sue
SusanSid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarahtonin on November 10th, 2003, 4:34 am

That's really good :D - now you just need to try and forget about the stupid twitches!

Sarah
sarahtonin

Not easy to forget about it!

Postby scaredtom on November 10th, 2003, 11:22 am

Hi Guys,

Well, we're all in the same boat, I think. Yes, the neuro I saw is the best in the city of Baltimore. The EMG and NCS were done by his favorites at Johns Hopkins Hospital - one of the best in the world. All is normal so far. But I'm still worrying. Why? Because I still twitch and the calves "feel funny" like mild pain or something. We can't let go can we?? We're obsessed with physical symptoms. I read each and every post on this site every day. We should have a BFS party or gathering somewhere. Can you all imagine a party room full of anxious worried hypochondriacs???? Some party.... Ha!

Well, as long as we can function and do all the things we want to do, we shouldn't really complain. As a matter of fact, tons of people are really a lot worse off!

(By the way, I'm simply preaching to myself - motivational speech for Monday morning)

Have a great week!
Tom
scaredtom

Postby thetwitchkid on November 10th, 2003, 1:31 pm

Tom,

I can relate.
In fact, I think our "obsession" is part of the neuro symptoms of the disease!!!
Have a great week.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics