my post from medhelp re tongue twitching

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby bktisbury on October 21st, 2008, 8:11 am

wondering about tongue twitching
by bktisbury

, Oct 17, 2008 10:01AM
what can you tell me about diffuse twitches combined with tongue twitching? i get flutters. have had clean emg.
Doctor's Answer

by Lama Chahine, MD

Oct 20, 2008 03:28PM
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not provide you with a diagnosis regarding your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information. One thing that comes to mind when there are twitches of the body and tongue in the setting of a normal EMG is benign fasiculation syndrome.

Benign fasiculation syndrome, which I will abbreviate as BFS, is a condition in which there are involuntary twitches of various muscle groups, most commonly the legs but also the face, arms, eyes, and tongue. If the diagnosis is confirmed and other causes are excluded, it can be safely said that the likelihood of progression or occurence of a serious neurologic condition is low. Sometimes, fasiculations can be due to or made worse by caffiene, anxiety, exercise, and certain drugs.

When BFS is present but not particularly bothersome or disabling, treatment is not necessary. If severe and it requires treatment, there are a few medication options though this condition is not very common, and the research that has been done on its treatment is limited. If you feel treatment is necessary, this would be best discussed with your neurologist. Minimizing caffiene and stress, and treating anxiety if it is present, will improve your symptoms.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful good luck
bktisbury
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics