New to the board. Pretty sure I have BFS

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New to the board. Pretty sure I have BFS

Postby ron93yj on October 25th, 2003, 10:17 pm

Hey everybody, I have been having muscle twitches all over my body for probably close to a year and a half now. I am an 18 yr. old male. I have been to my family doctor about these twitches about a year ago and I had some bloodwork done and everything came back negative. My thyroid was checked, I was checked for mono (?) and my blood count was fine. My doc told me it didn't look like anything serious and said if it became more serious to come back. Well, it hasn't gotten any worse, but they are still there. I have gotten use to them and have learned to live with them.

I have looked at symptoms for ALS, MS and other diseases with muscle twitches and I have none of the symptoms. I am 5'8" 148 lbs, am in pretty decent shape. The one thing that I do have is a lot of stress. I have always been a worrysome person and worry about the stupidest things. I have also been going through a growth spurt over the past couple of years. (I originally thought this was the cause, and ignored my twitches) I started to take Centrum vitamins about 3 months ago because I heard that magnesium could be a reason for muscles twitching :?: It just seems to me that BFS is the only explaination.

Im just looking for somebody to tell me that they will eventually go away :lol:

Thanks for reading, please post your comments
ron93yj

Postby Brian_B on October 26th, 2003, 1:19 am

Hey everybody, I have been having muscle twitches all over my body for probably close to a year and a half now. I am an 18 yr. old male. I have been to my family doctor about these twitches about a year ago and I had some bloodwork done and everything came back negative. My thyroid was checked, I was checked for mono (?) and my blood count was fine. My doc told me it didn't look like anything serious and said if it became more serious to come back. Well, it hasn't gotten any worse, but they are still there. I have gotten use to them and have learned to live with them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not getting worse after a year and half is a good thing

I been twitching for 2 years and they havent got any worse

I have looked at symptoms for ALS, MS and other diseases with muscle twitches and I have none of the symptoms. I am 5'8" 148 lbs, am in pretty decent shape. The one thing that I do have is a lot of stress. I have always been a worrysome person and worry about the stupidest things. I have also been going through a growth spurt over the past couple of years. (I originally thought this was the cause, and ignored my twitches) I started to take Centrum vitamins about 3 months ago because I heard that magnesium could be a reason for muscles twitching It just seems to me that BFS is the only explaination.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

even if they dont help twitches taking vitamins isnt a bad thing :)

Im just looking for somebody to tell me that they will eventually go away
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they might not ever go away but they wont hurt you

Thanks for reading, please post your comments
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

live your life, dont let twitches bother you even if they never go away

and being only 19 yrs old now it would be almost impossible to have ALS thats too young, its usually in late 40s or early 50s yr olds that get it
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on October 26th, 2003, 8:10 am

Hi ROn,

Yes it does sound like BFS. I think many people that have BFS, from what I've read, tend to be worriers. If you want a definitive diagnosis, go see a neurologist. He can tell you for sure. But I think Brian is right...a year and a half of twitching with no weakness is most assuredly benign.

Twitch on little brother,
Jen :wink:
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby ron93yj on October 30th, 2003, 8:44 pm

Anybody else? The more comments the better!
ron93yj

Postby Craig on October 31st, 2003, 10:31 am

I agree with the other postings that what you have sounds like typical BFS. Your age is greatly in your favor, you've been twitching (without weakness) for 18 months now and the doctor you saw was not at all concerned about anything serious. All of the above are highly reassuring and should give you great peace of mind.

Take care,

Craig
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Greata on October 31st, 2003, 11:03 am

I have been twitching for 3 months and have noticed a recent decrease in the number of twitches and intensity. I am hopeful this will go away. Exercise really helps me. You are way too young for ALS...MS is a different story, but twitching is unrelated. Sounds like you are healthy, just living a stressfull life. Is there anything you can do to relax and stop worrying?[beside mass quantities of drugs>>>}
I have worried all my life, but now in my 40's, I realize alot of it was for NO reason. Take an older person's advice, and find a way to calm your nerves. I wish at 18 I knew what I know now. {Try saying that 10 times}
Regards,
Greata
Greata

Postby Nole on November 2nd, 2003, 8:57 pm

I started 1.5 years ago, they have gotten better. I have tried vitamins also, no change. I have never seen a neuro either, no need to says the doc. I too had clean thyroid and blood work tests and physical exam. No weakness, no progression of symptoms = BFS. Welcome to the club, the best thing to do is live your life, be happy, try to stop worrying, and do the things you love, its the best medicine there is to help with the BFS.
NOLE
Nole
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics