Syringomyelia, Type 1 Diabetes, and Benign Fasciculations

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby nickygg on September 4th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Hello all,

I am a newbie, but I will say upfront my fear is not of ALS. I am a 31 year old female, and I have a pretty heavy duty medical history that began with my pregnancy 5 years ago...

First of all, I would like to say I do twitch and jump and get shocks from head to toe, and it has been happening for almost a year and a half. I went to a neurologist yesterday, and I ended up leaving his office in tears. After reading things on this site, I do understand why he wanted to give me sleeping pills/anti-depressants, etc, but I also have a lot of things wrong with my body, and I felt he was too quick to file it under a "psychological" condition.

So my questions are as follows... if anyone happens to know the answers, that is. First of all, I do have type 1 diabetes, which I acquired after gestational diabetes with my pregnancy. My a1c was as high as a 16.5, and remained above a 15 for about a year. Only in the last year has it been reasonable, and that still contained one a1c of a 14, so you can see it hasn't been great. I have periodic numbness and tingling in my hands and feet, as well as constant twitching, and I was concerned it could be some kind of neuropathy. I also have had microalbuminuria come up three times on blood work, and I was concerned of a connection between my kidneys and the twitching... Does anyone know anything about kidneys? Or diabetes and neuropathy??

I also had a laminectomy, craniectomy, and duraplasty done last December for a chiari 1 malformation and syrinx. My syrinx spanned from my C4 to my T10, and I was told my spinal cord was 85% deteriorated. Some of my symptoms were relieved by the surgery, although, again, not the twitches. My neurosurgeon said he didn't think the surgery had anything to do with the twitching, but I read spinal cord injuries could cause them... Does anybody know what to make of that connection??

I ALSO read infection could be one cause of why they begin... I do have chronic sinusitis, as well as acute bouts of it, thanks to my diabetes, and it has yet to be treated. I believe I've had it for at least a year, and probably longer. I also had a melanoma almost two years ago, and do not know if that could be the cause...

I know I come across as crazy to my doctors, but my body has been out of control for the last 5 years. I was in perfect health before my pregnancy, and have had horrible medical luck since. I do not think I have ALS, but I do worry about my twitching being a symptoms of a condition that already exists in me. I worry about my kidneys, about my diabetes, about my spine, about whether or not my body is getting the right nutrients, and whether or not I will have a reoccurance of cancer. I'm sure it's my worries that are causing the twitches, but I would like to know for sure...

Does anyone have anything to say to this?? I appreciate any feedback you might have...

Thank you,

Nicole
nickygg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics