have to ask a couple of questions

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

have to ask a couple of questions

Postby brooklyn on October 8th, 2003, 6:48 am

I have spent my time since joining this site reading all of the great stories and helpful advice. I'm happy to have found you all! But you have probably figured out that I need to ask a couple of questions. I'm a bit older than most of you (52) leading a pretty normal life. I used to ve a runner, but I've cut back a lot since all of this stuff started. My twitching started as an acut attack that had me in bed twitching for hours with my heart pounding. I had NO idea what was happening to me and I made an appt to see my Internist. He felt it was nothing serious but did recommend a neuro who I saw soon afterwards. She felt it was benign but did not use the term BFS. She did an EMG and she concluded that I was stressed out (which I was for several months leading to all of this) and prescribed Lexapro. That made it all worse so I stopped it. I was feeling a bit better until I started getting a jolt in my midsection that would wake me at night. When I awoke, I would have a cramp in that same area near my stomach that would not loosen up. I then started getting these strange "fluttery" feelings like spasms there during the day. Does anyone have that kind of sensation around the stomach area? Also, does anyone experience that kind of jolt in that spot? I'm not sure if I developed a stomach problem or it is the BFS. I also started to get numbness and tingling in arms, legs, back, torso, you name it. My thumbs are especially uncomfortable and my hands and feet seem sensitive to everything...heat, cold, touch. I went back to the neuro and she asked me to go for an MRI because she knew I was worried about MS. Anyone else have these feelings in hands and feet? Or am I just weird....
brooklyn

Postby fastpage on October 8th, 2003, 10:58 am

I may be the only person on this board older than you are (53). It is especially frightening, I know, when one gets these symptoms at our age because we are actually at a more realistic age to get some of these diseases than the younger people.

I have experienced many of your symptoms. I get the "fluttery" feeling in my legs, abdomen, and sides. I get tingling, sensations of pins and needles and sensations of heat in my feet. The twitches come and go everywhere but are always constant in the calves. I get myclonic jolts in my stomach when I am falling asleep. About the only thing you have experienced that I have not noticed is numbness-but many others on this board have had that as well.

I had every test in the book over the summer and all came out clean so I think you are in much the same situation as I am. If you have read the old posts you know that your symtoms are inconsistent with NMD-especially with a clean EMG. If you can reduce your stress your symptoms will abate considerably, I am sure. Good luck from one "elder" to another..
No man has a right to live who has not in his soul the power to die nobly for a great cause. --Theodore Roosevelt.
fastpage

Postby garym on October 8th, 2003, 11:14 am

Had you taken any antibiotics such as cipro or levaquin prior to you symptoms beginning? The reason I ask, is that many people that have adverse reactions to these drugs have very similar symptoms as you.

Just something to think about.

Gary
garym

from one elder to another

Postby brooklyn on October 8th, 2003, 12:25 pm

Thanks for your help. It helps me feel so much better when someone else has the same strange symptoms as I do and is in my age bracket, too! I'm trying to stay calm through all of this, but I tend to be a bit obsessive about my health. Just knowing I can reach out to folks like yourself really means a lot.
brooklyn

no antibiotics

Postby brooklyn on October 8th, 2003, 12:48 pm

garym wrote:Had you taken any antibiotics such as cipro or levaquin prior to you symptoms beginning? The reason I ask, is that many people that have adverse reactions to these drugs have very similar symptoms as you.

Just something to think about.

Gary

No. I haven't taken either of those antibiotics. But thanks for trying to help me.
brooklyn

another "older" member

Postby scaredtom on October 8th, 2003, 1:28 pm

Hi,

I'm also 53. My symptoms started 13 months ago. See my postings elsewhere on this site for details, but I've been through and am in the midst of a bunch of stress. The symptoms are fasics in my calves primarily. Other places too like my eyelid, right side of face near nose, left thigh, etc. The calves fascic more after exercise. These are fluttery things more than big twitches. The left thigh is like a buzzing.

So...it happens at all ages. I really think stress is the key problem. And some of us (we who have these problems) seem to turn stress into physical ailments - not on purpose - but it's just how it comes out.

You are definitely not alone. I hate the symptoms because they make me worry, hence, my site "name"

Hang in there!
Tom
scaredtom

Postby Floater on October 8th, 2003, 4:46 pm

Do you have jolts and spasms in the upper right abdomon...? just under the ribcage...if so did you have bloodtests done like a liver panel?
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby brooklyn on October 9th, 2003, 11:51 am

Floater wrote:Do you have jolts and spasms in the upper right abdomon...? just under the ribcage...if so did you have bloodtests done like a liver panel?

The spasms are right in the middle below my sternum. I am having blood work done right now and my doctor also advised a gastro exam to be on the safe side. He thinks it may just be excess acid so I'll try fixing that, too. I'm just tired of tests and doctors....
brooklyn

Postby Floater on October 9th, 2003, 3:55 pm

indeed
Floater
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics