Concerned newbie twitcher

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Concerned newbie twitcher

Postby G'kar on September 30th, 2003, 10:05 am

Hi All !

Been a lurker here for a while, and going to toss out a question, with a story. I hope this is the right forum.

About 4 months ago, whilst mowing the lawn, I noticed that my left arm was a bit shaky and "felt" weak. It was a hot and humid day, and I was a bit sun burnt. The next day, I felt like doodoo, shaky all over, and twitching all over like I was sitting on a paint shaker! It all kind of subsided a bit over the course of a week, but my legs, arms, and body as a whole just felt drained, and was still twitching all over. After a week or two of this, I went to see my Dr.
He did a blood and urine workup, found nothing. attributed it all to stress, anxiety, and depression. Was put on Effexor XR, and B12. After that, I started to see my chiropractor for adjustments. My chiropractor found that my neck bends the wrong way, and have arthritis in the neck, but didnt see anything unusual in the spine xray. 8 weeks of adjustments now, with the effexor and b12, and my symptoms have lessened quite dramtically. But.. I still have "some" twitching. Here and there, with some in the same place everytime. One inparticular under my left arm, from the armpit out to just before the elbow. This one, is like clock work. Twitches every 2 seconds almost perfectly. The rest, random.

Yes, I have to admit, the first thing I read was ALS. And after that, the symptoms grew even more intense, Almost to the point of total mental paralysis! I was a wreck, and still kind of am. But, After doing some extensive reading and research, I see that my symptoms do not really match. I have no clinical weakness. I can still move, walk, lift, unscrew jars lids, button my shirts, etc..

I do feel a bit more fatiqued after the days work, or a work out. climbing stairs seems to make my leg muscles a little more tired faster. otherwise, At 39 years old, I'm in good health, with the exception of another 20 pounds to loose, Fairly active, sometimes.

I do have a apointment to see a neuro tommorow, and I'm almost 99.99% certain he will not find much. But..my question is this.

The stinking twitch under my arm has me a bit worried. Can BFS cause a twitch to be this precise? If I flex that muscle group by lifting, or better yet, doing extention work outs on that muscle group, it stops for a bit, then comes back. I can feel it sometimes, and other times just see it moving.

All in all, the body wide twitches come and go, some tiny, some big. BFS??

A bit long in the tooth, so I'll close. Thank you for listening. (reading)
G'kar

Postby Jenn311 on October 1st, 2003, 11:33 am

yo G... :wink:

I think what you are describing sounds like BFS...the twitches can be random, or pulsating...I bet you are testing that muscle a lot to check for weakness as well, aren't you!? That will keep it aggrevated and make you twitch more. Hotspots like that eventually go away...I wouldn't spend too much emotional energy on it. Go see your neuro, he is most likely going to give you a Dx of BFS, tell you that stress makes it worse, and send you on your way. I get the weakness in the arms as well after mowing the lawn....that seems to stick around for hours. I think it must be a combo of the BFS and the vibrations of the mower.

Let us know how your appt. goes, and try not to stress.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby G'kar on October 1st, 2003, 11:38 am

Ok, Just had my visit with a neuro. He did all of the physical exams, and really didnt find much. Strength ok, coordination ok, and so on. He did not order a EMG as he didnt find anything that warrented it. But he is going to do a MRI looking for Spinal Stenosis. He says "you do NOT have ALS". Kind of young still, no clinical weakness, or signs of atrophy or other classic symptoms, So... Thats great news! Although, I suppose, looking backwards, and reading more, I never had it. Amazing how the mind works isnt it. Now if I could just find a way to "Imagine" money out of thin air, I'd have it made!

Thanks All.
G'kar

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics