body confidence

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

body confidence

Postby tlotoxl on September 25th, 2003, 1:32 am

I find that what bugs me most about BFS is that it robs me of some of the confidence I have in my body. If some friends ask me to join them playing soccer/basketball/whatever or to go hiking, I often hesitate now when I wouldn't have before because what with my exercise intolerance and all, I just don't feel confident in my body anymore. I feel like my reactions are dulled and my body is no longer entirely my own.

Anyway, I had a bit of a good experience yesterday that involved me being hit by a car ;) I was driving my bicycle from the airport downtown when I got hit by a car pulling out of a parking lot. I wasn't going all that fast -- probably around 20-25 km/h or so -- but I flew over the the handlebars and rolled onto the curb. My bike was totalled, but to my complete and utter surprise, I escaped with only a very minor scrape on my elbow (which didn't even bleed) and not even a bruise.

I suppose I just got lucky, but another part of my feels grateful for the accident (pain of replacing the bicycle aside) because in the moment when my conscious anxiety-crippled mind was relieved of control of my body, my muscles and reactions worked just fine, as well as they ever have.

Anyway, I'm back to the usual twitching/tremoring routine, but I thought I'd just mention my experience here anyway ;)
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Jenn311 on September 25th, 2003, 9:10 am

Alexis...

So sorry to hear about your accident! I have seen several people hit by cars while riding bikes in that country....Japanese drivers are crazy! And the narrow streets just make it worse. Glad you are OK though.

Hey, don't give up doing what you enjoy. If you do, you're letting the BFS win.

Rock on little brother,
Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to General Topics