MSG & aspertame = BFS for me

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby lyn on August 21st, 2006, 5:00 pm

I've had BFS and myokamia for over 10 years. Have had similar symptom experiences to many of those listed by others (no fun!!).
-->MSG and aspartame (and related chems) make my symptoms MUCH worse! After trying to eliminate those chems and related ones from my diet, the twitches and cramping were greatly reduced. Now I can tell every time I accidentally eat some.
I decided to try this approach after reading a book by a board certified neurosurgeon, Russell Blaylock, MD, called "EXCITOTOXINS The Taste That Kills". It deals with a number of neurodegenerative diseases but doesn't really talk about BFS. I just figured that those chems are not good for the brain/nervous system, so I'd just avoid them. WOW! It really helped me--maybe it will hlp you,too.
-->If you decide to try this, you will need to get good at reading food ingredient labels and become very careful about eating in restaurants since most less expensive chain restaurants (like KFC) seem to rely on flavoring with MSG and/or hydrolyzed vegetable protein (concentrates naturally occurring MSG). MSG was originally concentrated from seaweed. That's one of the reasons it was used a lot in Asian cooking. For more info, read the book or check the web on MSG (monosodium glutamate) and aspartame (Nutrasweet). But, beware of any industry sponsored "research" (profit motive).
lyn
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management