Trouble swallowing?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Trouble swallowing?

Postby Twitchy Georgy on May 7th, 2003, 11:09 am

Hi folks...I was diagnosed with BFS about 8 months ago (after numerous neuro visits and an EMG that came out clean) and in the last week or so, I've started noticing some weird symptoms....It seems that whenever I swallow, I feel like I have a small rubber ball that is lodged in my throat....As well as this I feel a similar feeling about 1 second later in in upper abdomen...

I went to the doctor's about a week ago and he put me on Zantac and told me to come back in a couple of weeks if the sensation doesn't go away....

I have a feeling it may be related to my BFS but also might be caused by stress...I have the following things going on in my life:

1. My parents are currently going through a very messy divorce that unfortunately my twin sisters get to see on a daily basis (they are 13).

2. My brother is currently in Iraq as a Marine and is taking part in some dangerous aid convoy missions....He witnessed a close friend of his lose a leg and an arm after picking up an unidentified "device"...He was standing nearby and was unharmed...

3. I am 3 months away from my wedding and my fiancee and I are busy coordinating people coming from 4 different countries..

4. Work is very stressful at the moment..

As you can see, to say that my plate is a tad full is a bit of an understatement...

Anyways, just wanted to get an idea from people who may be having similar symptoms...
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Postby uber on May 7th, 2003, 11:54 am

Hi georgy

ive read about this problem somewhere before and that its aparantly a very very common symptom of anxiety...the lump in the throat feeling.

Recently ive been getting aches in the neck, sometimes on the left side, sometimes on the right. Also getting tremors in the neck occasionaly and almost always in the hands when I hold something. Im yet to see a Neurologist, so im terrified of the likely diagnoses of MS.

good luck :)
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kim on May 7th, 2003, 10:29 pm

Sounds like anxiety/stress to me. Almost everyone I have spoken with regarding BFS has some degree of anxiety. Those with higher levels experience just what you are going through. I had the "lump in the thoat" thing for quite a while until I calmed down. Try to relax. You'll be fine.

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby tlotoxl on May 7th, 2003, 10:47 pm

Yeah, sounds like anxiety to me, too. I haven't had extended throat problems myself (aside from the time when I half swalled some doxocycline on an empty stomach), but I've had periodic jaw tightness under stress and the occasional swallowing difficulty.

uber -- I would hardly say that an MS diagnosis is likely. A diagnosis of possible essential tremor sounds most likely to me, along with a massive load of stress.

Anyway, good luck both of you.
tlotoxl
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Twitchy Georgy on May 9th, 2003, 8:11 am

Although I have seen the neuro many times in the last year (the most recent being 5 months ago) I keep thinking that I have something terrible... It seems the more educated I get on the subject of neurological diseases, the more I think I actually have them....Since I've gotten this "lump in the throat" feeling, I keep thinking I have MS or something just as terrible...
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Postby Carolyn4 on May 9th, 2003, 12:42 pm

I also have this lump in my throat feeling! No trouble swallowing (I test myself several times a day, it's ridiculous!) but always that sensation of a lump!
Carolyn4

Postby Davidd on May 10th, 2003, 9:18 pm

Georgy--

I haven't been around here in awhile as I needed a break from reading/thinking about BFS and the strange symptoms that go along with it. Just for re-assurance, the lump in the throat feeling is not uncommon nor is becoming more worried as you read more and more about neuro diseases. The chances of you having any of them, however, are so slight that you should really try to put it out of your mind.

I understand the stress you are under and I am sure that is not helping. I am 28 and am also getting married in 3 months...and work for me can be stressful at times also.

Try to relax, if possible, every day for a little while...meditate, read, or do something to relax yourself and hopefully that will help.

Good luck with your symptoms and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Floater on May 15th, 2003, 8:56 pm

anxiety related
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby Twitchy Georgy on May 16th, 2003, 2:36 pm

It like to thank everyone's words of encouragement and comfort. It just goes to show how genuinely decent all of you really are.

I went to go see my family doctor about a week ago and he has determined that the cause of my "lump in the throat" feeling is due to GERD. Which makes sense since I have also had some bout of heartburn recently.. He has put me on Prilosec and told me modify the amount of crap I ingest (i.e. fatty foods, snacks, etc.).

My bfs remains, but hopefully this modified diet will help to aleviate some of the twitching.
Twitchy Georgy
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management