Hi from a fellow twitcher!

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hi from a fellow twitcher!

Postby Carolyn4 on March 24th, 2003, 1:11 pm

Finally saying hi after lurking for a few days. I just want to say that this site has been a life-saver for me. I started twitching a few weeks ago and of course thought I was doomed with als or ms. Then I found this site and did some reading and realized that I have exactly what you all have. I've never been to a doctor about this (I was too scared) but I feel comfortable self-diagnosing myself now. I twitch all over, all day long, mainly in my calves, toes and thumbs. I do have mild achiness in my legs and back also..(.is this normal?). I think this has all been triggered or made worse by some stress going on in my life and I am DEFINITELY an anxious person, and bordering on being a hypochondriac. I realize anxiety doesn't CAUSE bfs but can make it worse. Should I go to the doctor and have all those tests? Opinions please! THANKS!
Carolyn4

Postby kim on March 24th, 2003, 8:53 pm

Hi Carolyn!

If having the tests makes you feel better, then by all means have them done. If you are comfortable with your self diagnosis and don't have any other symptoms, that's cool too! If you are a high stress/anxiety person and find your self obsessing over this, have an EMG done to confirm your benign fasiculation syndrome. This should put your fears to rest once and for all. The trick is believing it is a benign condition.

We are always here for you if you need us, but it seems like you may have a handle on it .

Kim
kim
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Davidd on March 24th, 2003, 9:55 pm

Carolyn--

It is basically up to you whether or not to see a doctor. You seem to be handling your symptoms pretty well so there's probably no need...however, as Kim suggested, if it were to make you feel better by all means you should go. There is no down-side to going at all...and in fact, a clean bill of health from a doctor can sometimes make the world seem just a little brighter!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Carolyn

Postby Katie on March 24th, 2003, 10:02 pm

HI Carolyn,

Boy -- I can relate to your post. I am definitely a borderline hypochondriac -- for about two years now. [My husband will tell you, though, that I am "definitely" a hypochondriac.] I also think I might have an anxiety disorder. The doctor today prescribed Zoloft for me to take. I know it's not an anti-anxiety medication, but she felt it might help me become less worried about everything and take some of the stress off. I'll see if it helps.

I'm glad to see that you found this site. I found it one night at 4:00 a.m., when I was lying in bed and could take the twitching no more. I just went to the computer and typed in "muscle twitches" and expected to find the worst case scenario [and of course, self-diagnose myself with that] but instead I found this site and read Arron's long post about the syndrome, and everything he wrote about the symptoms, I thought "hey, that's me -- yep, that's me," and I felt so much better.

Overall, I am okay about all of this -- I do have my moments when I get worried, though, and I think that this has just become my nature in the last couple of years. I'd love to go back to the "old me" when I could get a cold, or any other minor illness and not even think twice about it. For the most part, I deal okay with the twitching, but when I get stressed and let my mind worry, then it becomes more bothersome to me.

My neuro told me today that these twitches are quite common. That said, at least we're okay -- and hopefully one of these days the twitches will decide they've been around long enough and just go away.
Katie
Katie

Carolyn again

Postby Katie on March 24th, 2003, 10:06 pm

Hi again Carolyn,

To answer your question about having tests done -- I am having an EMG test done. However, my neuro has tested my strength and it's always been fine. We're just doing this test because the twitches haven't gone away. He is not worried. He put off having the EMG done because he said it can be uncomfortable, but he thinks it might be a good idea to do it now.

I would say that if you decide to do anything, to put your mind at ease [if you should become worried], to see a neurologist and at least just have him/her give you a neuro exam [testing for strength, coordination, etc.]. That would be the simplest thing to do and you can also get confirmation from him/her about BFS.

Good luck.
Katie
Katie

Carolyn again

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management