Vibrations in back and leg

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Vibrations in back and leg

Postby Katie on March 12th, 2003, 8:40 pm

Hi. I'm new here.

I've had twitches all over on & off for about 6 months. After several appts. with neurologists, and some tests [MRI's], the last neuro thinks I have some sort of benign condition -- which is how I found this site. It is very helpful.

I also have a buzzing feeling in my back. It's to the left of my spine, mid back. It feels like there's a bee in there -- just buzzes here & there throughout the day. It feels very weird. Lately also, my left leg is tremoring. You can't see it -- I can just feel it. It's in my thigh and stretches down into my knee. It appears to happen when I'm at rest mostly.

I don't have any weakness -- been checked out constantly for that and that seems fine. I'm starting to get used to the twitching -- it runs around from my eyelids to my hands to arms, legs & feet -- even in my face and lips once. The buzzing and tremor scare me, though. Makes me think that something else is going on. It's hard not to think the worst at times, especially when you're lying in bed at 3:00 am and feeling these things.

It's good to have this support here.

Katie
Katie
Katie

Postby Davidd on March 12th, 2003, 10:41 pm

Katie--

Welcome! I am wondering if you live in the City? I work in midtown but live off in the "burbs" in CT. :)

Congrats on a good set of neuro appointments...it seems as though you are fine and healthy other than the twitches and buzzing/tremoring. As you will find here, many of us have had the same symptoms you are experiencing plus a whole host of other ones. They are no fun ESPECIALLY at 3AM in the morning...been there, done that. Try to remember that the twitches are harmless and that they are benign. If you are having serious trouble sleeping, perhaps talk to you dr about some short term relief that will get you back into a regular sleeping cycle. I do think that after some nights of fitfull rest, you will feel a lot better about the twitching and the tremoring and buzzing.

Did you talk to the neurologist about ALL of your symptoms or just the twitching? I hope you feel better soon...and as I said before, your symptoms are fairly common among people here so try not to worry too much about it if you can.

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Reply to David

Postby Katie on March 12th, 2003, 10:52 pm

Hi David,

Thanks so much for your reply. I did speak to my neuro about the other symptoms. As a matter of fact, I saw him again just today. He doesn't seem too concerned -- said he basically ruled out ALS [I don't have any weakness] and doesn't think it's MS either. He said that the chances of me having a serious illness are less than if I randomly got hit by a car. I'm actually the one who brought up BFS to him [after my own internet research into muscle twitches]. He said he liked the idea ... thinks he thinks it's the right way to think. He gave me a mild tranquilizer which he said to take every day [one a day] and come back in a month. If I'm not significantly improved, he will do an EMG and possibly other tests, but he said he did not want to do that now because the EMG can be either uncomfortable or kind of painful and didn't think I needed to be subjected to that.

Overall, he doesn't seem worried. And I guess that's a relief, but I still get worried once in a while. I was in Florida on vacation for 3 weeks and having lots of symptoms on & off there, and I had myself convinced for about 3 days straight that I had MS. Needless to say, I was extremely depressed and feeling like my life was over. I seem to have pulled out of that now, especially after seeing the neurologist.

The buzzing in my back is really bugging me, though. Doesn't hurt or anything, and it's not numb, but it's just this strange bzzzzzzzzzzzzz in this one spot to the left of my spine. Can't figure it out. It feels like there's a bee in there or something ... it's that kind of buzz. I've actually had it for a few months, but it seems to be there a lot these days. I have read that others have had this buzz. I think I read today that someone had it in their chest. I don't want to go crazy over this, at least not anymore, but I would like to get to the bottom of it.

Oh, and I live just north of NYC, in Riverdale. I used to live in Soho, but I had a baby 7 months ago and outgrew my apartment in the city, so we moved up here. It's part of the Bronx [but the nicer part]. I'm not working -- staying home with my baby boy -- but one of these months I'll be heading back, probably into Manhattan again, to do something work-wise. How do you like Connecticut?

Thanks again for your response!

Katie
Katie
Katie

Postby Davidd on March 14th, 2003, 6:24 pm

Katie--

I am glad that the appt went well on Wednesday. I know that when I had the twitching pretty severely last summer, the doctor had given me klonopin to help make the twitching subside and also to help me sleep at night. You'll hear lots of different things about klonopin such as its long half like and difficulty to withdraw from taking it but it seemed to work well for me the times that I took it and I didn't have any problems when I stopped. I wonder if there is anything that can help alleviate the "buzzing" feeling? What did the doctor give you to take? If you are able to sleep well for a few nights the buzzing may start to subside on its own hopefully.

As for CT, I like it up here. Like you, I lived in the City but my fiance and I moved up here a few years ago and now I make the commute everyday! It's only about a 45 minute train ride into the city each day and I work close to grand central (5 min walk). I've been to Riverdale many times...it's a nice area. :)

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Buzzing

Postby TimJA on March 18th, 2003, 10:03 am

I get the buzzing myself a bit --- and I've seen it listed as a symptom of BFS.

I've been taking vitamin E, b complex & calcium/magnisium in divided doses morning and night and it seems to have made a difference.

You'll be fine. No worries...
TimJA
Interested
Interested

Buzzing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management