One more question---EMG test??

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

One more question---EMG test??

Postby tigerman on April 26th, 2005, 5:59 pm

IS this a good sign?? Had EMG test today and NVC test. A technician performed the NVC while my neurologist performed the EMG test. The neurologist did the emg test last and said he would analyze the results and have me to come back in first of next week. The technician did tell me that the neuro did not find any fibrillations after he saw I was nervous about outcome. Is this a good sign?? (helping rule out als)?? thanks.
tigerman

Postby Ava on April 26th, 2005, 8:35 pm

Fibrillations are the bad sign that would lead a doctor to consider ALS. If you don't have those, its considered a "clean" emg as far as ALS is concerned.

Your doctor may be looking at the results to see if you have fasciculations or some other type of benign twitch.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Johnny on April 26th, 2005, 9:25 pm

Ditto what Ava said.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Postby dave y on April 27th, 2005, 1:45 am

Fibs though are not specific to ALS... I've read of a number of people with simple BFS also having fibs and even sharp waves, but not ALS. And I recall a paper about fibs being found with BFS. But yes, of course, it's better not to have them...
dave y
Hero
Hero

Postby tigerman on April 27th, 2005, 10:22 am

Thanks for the info. It helps to get such good info. from people who have seen enough of this to have an idea of what is going on. I will keep you posted. Have a great day. :)
tigerman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management