Age and BFS

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Age and BFS

Postby Lance on April 24th, 2005, 10:17 am

Dear all

Has anyone noticed that most people who have posted on this site are "young"-ish. A quick scan reveals 20 and 30- "somethings" making up approx 80% of contributors...

Does this mean:

1. BFS is a young person's problem?
2. BFS disappears or get less troublesome as one gets older?
3. Older BFS sufferers can't/ won't use the internet?

What do all the youngsters (and oldsters) think?

Lance
Lance

Postby amy_twitch on April 24th, 2005, 11:18 am

Interestingly, my docs (even my neuro) all subscribe to the idea that BFS is related to anxiety. I'm a little more inclined to believe other factors are at work, like viruses, etc, coupled with anxiety. But who knows??

If you read up on anxiety--the peak age brackets for when anxiety disorders strike span the early twenties to mid thirties....with a decent number of cases carrying on into the forties. For some reason, problems with anxiety diminish as we age in most cases.

The age-related timelines for anxiety and BFS seem to correspond quite consistently, I guess lending good evidence that the two are linked.
Then it comes down to what's behind the anxiety itself. Does our age (from our 20s and into our 40s) make us prone to hormonal or adrenal or viral inconsistencies that cause heightened anxiety responses? Might those same inconsistencies be causing a metabolic or chemical disruption that results in our twitching? Just some things to ponder---along with a whole host of other possible root causes of BFS. Sometimes it just too much for me to wrap my mind around!

-Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Lance on April 24th, 2005, 3:45 pm

sounds plausible- maybe some more responses from our fellow BFS'ers can help?!
Lance

not "young" ish

Postby iamtwitching on April 25th, 2005, 8:50 am

I started twitching at age 45, although I don't mind being considered youngish. My neurologist actually referred to my twitching as "a post viral condition" and never mentioned stress as a factor once other than the fact that I was stressed over the twitching. The facts are though, when it all started, I was quite stressed at the time and was just recovering from a flu type virus.

I would guess that not as many people in my age bracket and older post to web forums as in the "youngish" crowd.
iamtwitching

Postby Ava on April 25th, 2005, 10:13 am

I'm 41 and have been twitching for over a year. I must admit to having had twitches from about the age of 30 but not as I noticed them last year--24/7. I'm still unclear to what degree I was twitching before that -- I twitched every day here and there but I never really focused on it until last April.

I think BFS can come on at any age but if you have a tendency for BFS it presents earlier in the course of life.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Lance on April 25th, 2005, 10:13 am

thanks to a YOUNG 45 year old!
Lance

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management