Nervous symptoms

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Nervous symptoms

Postby tigerman on April 21st, 2005, 3:30 pm

I have been having muscle twitches for around 3 months now. I do not have any muscle weakness or I can't see any atrophy. It started with a twitch in my finger and with some blood work, they saw elevated cpk numbers. My doctor told me to get off the medication (cholesterol-zetia) and the twitching stopped and cpk went down. But now, :cry: , I am getting twitches over different parts of the body. Not alot but just several times a day I can feel a twitch from my legs to arms. (maybe sometimes it feels like a feather touching my face). What has made me nervous is I went to a nuerologist this week and most all test (reflex/strength) went well except my knee reflex was very hyper. When he would hit my kneecap, it jumped out a good bit. We are set to an EMG next week and I am nervous. Anyone ideas?
tigerman

Postby jcavan4125 on April 21st, 2005, 3:41 pm

3 months of twitching with no weakness or atrophy are all good signs. Hyperactive reflexes are not by themselves diagnostic of anything. The EMG will be more definitive. Good Luck.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Dr. on April 21st, 2005, 4:05 pm

It is a known fact that people who do not exercise much have more brisk reflexes than who do.

Knee reflexes can also be brisk due to anxiety ...

Brisk (as long as they are symmetric) are OK. They should not be pathological ...

Many people on this website get concerned about this (in spite of their doctors telling them that they are normal).

People with MND do not just have brisk reflexes ... their leg flies up generally !!!
Dr.

Postby Ginlyn on April 22nd, 2005, 12:31 am

As far as brisk reflexes goes, my knees have always been hyper.

I do exercise, as a matter of fact, I am a runner presently in training for an October marathon, and I cycle and lift weights on my cross training days. I've read, and have been told that brisk reflexes are found very often in young, healthy people (I'm 43 years young :wink:

I remember three years ago, my knees were hit and they flew up to hip level as I was sitting on the edge of the exam table. Now they are a bit more "tame".

My doctor is way more concerned with symetry. Were both knees about the same? Did your doc seemed overly concerned?

Remember, a lot of factors can determine reflex. Anxiety, meds, etc.

Let us know how your EMG goes. I'll bet it's going to be fine.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby Stephanie on April 23rd, 2005, 1:47 pm

I have brisk reflexes too.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

reflexes

Postby iamtwitching on April 25th, 2005, 9:04 am

When I went to the neuro he beat on my knees and couldn't get any response (if it is not one thing it is another) My EMG was alright. I spoke with my mother ,who is a nurse, and she said that she never showed reflex response either. I would say genetics plays into our reflex make up as well as other factors.
iamtwitching

reflexes

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management