Possible help for some. Protein deficiency

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Possible help for some. Protein deficiency

Postby Valkyrie on March 17th, 2005, 11:45 am

One of the more disturbing trends amongst twitchers is our habit of constantly testing our strength and stamina. For the purpose of this conversation I submit that strength and stamina are closely related when considering weakness. I've never been a big supporter of the so-called "perceived weakness" theory. If you feel weak, then you probably are weaker on that particular day. The fact that most of us eventually regain strength in the weakened area indicates no probable terminal diagnosis. Agreed? Maybe not, but stay with me. I don't believe in BFS as a diagnosis. I think that BFS is a symptom of something else. Fascics can be a symptom of a wide range of ailments and I don't think we necessarily all share the same condition.

For all of us weightlifters in this forum, I think we need to re-evaluate our excercise program. Ask yourselves; how often are you increasing weight in your various excercises just to prove that you aren't getting weaker? I've spent years doing it and my bones just frigging ache because of it. We're damaging our bodies.

Two things worked for me and I've seen dramatic improvement over the course of the past month. First, I cut my workouts down to about 3/4 the intensity I once used. Second, my girfriend got me hooked on protein shakes. For me, whey protein works best, but I'm sure you can be creative. For some reason, I think many of us are starving our bodies of protein with our workouts. Go back and check you magazine articles and see if you're getting the proper amount of protein in your diet. I doubt it.

The imrovements I've had? I went from thousands of fascics a day to barely perceptable levels. I would lay down in bed and it felt like my feet and calves had a life of their own. My body is finally getting some peace. Parasthesia is barely perceptable. All of the needle like pains are gone.

Again, I'm not saying that this is the answer for everyone, but give it a shot. Let's face it, as long as people aren't dying from this thing, I doubt we'll see any serious research in this area. Thanks for listening.
Valkyrie

Postby stevepaul on March 17th, 2005, 1:47 pm

There has been and continues to be, serious research into PNH. I know of one study being undertaken now in Israel.

Steve
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby shamus on March 20th, 2005, 12:48 pm

I always feel better taking some form of protein after working out and I work out very passionately (almost compulsive). Not uncommon for me to do a hundred crunches while downloading from the web. (kinda nuts I guess). Anyhow, protein revitalizes the muscles and helps repair the tiny tears that take place through exercise. I do mine through food like egg whites, chicken, fish. You can OD on the shakes and get too much protein if you are not careful. If you have a real good diet, the shakes may not be necessary unless you are championship level athlete. Too much protein can increase the ammonia levels in your body and that is not a good thing. But protein is definitely good for an active person.
shamus

Postby Ish on March 21st, 2005, 6:15 pm

I do wonder whether something in the fitness lifestyle is a trigger. I was doing intense resistance training 3x a week when mine hit me. But another possibility for me, and for some others, are those protein shakes you mention. I was definitely sucking down a lot of those too. Protein powder has come up as a conjecture several times here or on Neuromuscular. Some possible connection between branched chain aminos and glutamate physiology. And even some speculation in the literature. So... careful.

Actually I say that more to prevent future anxiety and emotional distress then because I think it really is a cause. I wouldn't lay anything even close to even odds on any of the possibilities we've all thought of so far. Still, it has to to be something (or three). M**t p** maybe.
Ish

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management