Pain/Weakness in Areas of Highest Concentrated Twitching

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Pain/Weakness in Areas of Highest Concentrated Twitching

Postby Xapno Mapcase on March 8th, 2005, 6:38 pm

I, like some others on this board, have pretty much constant twitching in my feet and calves. Somtimes I will not have any twitches in other locations for weeks, but the feet and calves are pretty consistent.

Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of a bad day with anxiety after a few good months (7 months into twitching as of today). My question is, if I were suffering from ALS, wouldn't I experience weakness in the areas that twitch the most? I have some perceived weakness in one of my arms, an area that almost never has twitched. My legs and feet, on the other hand are fine - I even work out every other day on the stair machine, with no weakness whatsoever.

I agree with those that talk about moving past all the ALS worrying 100%, but am just really having a bad day for some reason. Does anyone have any insight they could share about weakness in ALS and it's relation to twitching? It would make me feel much better to think that I should feel the weakest in the areas that I twitch the most in, since the twitching is non-stop in my legs where I feel no weakness.

Thanks!
-Robbie
Xapno Mapcase

Postby Stephanie on March 8th, 2005, 9:41 pm

The twitching/small spasms are also constant in my feet/calves. Not a second goes by that I don't twitch, literally. With als you would have weakness before noticing (or not notice but have) twitching. Perceived weakness is very common among those of us that focus on our symptoms. I often feel like my legs are on the verge of giving out on me. After 7 months with no weakness I wouldn't worry.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Roger G. on March 8th, 2005, 9:44 pm

Robbie: It sounds like you are now definitely a a member of our club. not much I can say except that we all have the type of days that that you are having right now. you sound like a pretty healthy person. As for your exercise program, this sounds excellent, DO NOT give this up no matter what. I feel that when we exercise we not only help ourselves physicaly, but mentally we assure ourselves that all is well with our neuro muscular system. other than that I tell you what I tell all others. HANG ON,AND NEVER,NEVER QUIT :!: :wink:
Roger G.
Hero
Hero

Postby Slavin Balen on March 9th, 2005, 2:38 am

My twitching is non-stop, 24/7, in my legs since last summer. Cramps occasionally. No weakness. I can lift up weights (aprox. 50 kg i.e. 100 pounds), squats, walk on heels and toes etc.
I feel pain and a little bit of weakness in my right arm (biceps) where I have twitching non-stop since last March.
My diagnosis is CB syndrom with mild radiculopathy in C4/C5/C6 sections. S1 left and right lesion also.
Last normal neuro exam was 2 weeks ago. Last clean EMNG except problems mentioned above was in September 2004.
Slavin
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby Xapno Mapcase on March 10th, 2005, 6:59 am

Thanks to all that replied. My latest bout of anxiety (after a VERY long break) was triggered by an increasingly sharp pain in my left arm when I make certain movements, like drying my hands, or holding my daughter in the air with my arms fully extended. I first noticed this pain a few months ago, and it has very slowly gotten a bit worse. It also hurts when I "poke" at my elbow joint, like the joint itself is sore.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any weakness at all that I can tell, just a little pain. My fear is that this pain is really weakness that I can't identify yet. Isn't it amazing what we can get ourselves worked up over? I keep trying to tell myself that after 7 months of full body twitching (and well over a year since I first had isolated, prolonged eye twitches) I would have something more serious than a little arm pain when I dry my hands, but the anxiety just won't go away right now.

I agree with you, Roger, about exercising, although for the sake of honesty I have to say that I'm struggling to stay in shape these days - something about hitting 30 changed everything! Now I have to watch what I eat (and drink), which is no fun at all...

Stephanie - although I'm sorry to see you still have the constant feet/calf twitches, at least know that you've provided great comfort to me in the past by posting about it. When I first started with this I didn't think there was anyway this could be benign until I read your posts, and then found others who have the constant feet/calf thing. Thanks.

The same goes to you, Slavin, for both your posts here and our personal correspondence. What is CB syndrome? I don't believe I've seen you mention this before.

Overall, I like the direction that some (I believe you've had a few posts of this nature, Roger) have been going in about stopping the endless strength tests and moving on with our lives. This really seems like the ultimate solution for us. I guess it just sometimes takes a while to accomplish, for me at least.

-Robbie
Xapno Mapcase

CB syndrom

Postby Slavin Balen on March 10th, 2005, 7:46 am

I'm sorry but I can't translate into English language. Here is in original Latin:
CB syndrom: Syndroma cervicobrachiale

I have also Syndroma cervicale et cervicocraniale and Spondylosis deformans.
Slavin
Slavin Balen
Hero
Hero

Postby zenseo on April 26th, 2005, 10:50 pm

Just to let you know that I too have constant calf and feet twitching, for over 8 months now. Drives me mad at times. If I look at my calves and feet there are just constant movements. From one place to the other, never stops. Started after a few months of anxiety and constant worry. I have had all the tests done (MRI,EMG,blood work) and all has been normal. It is so bizare huh?

Regards
Sean
zenseo
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby joeyata1 on April 26th, 2005, 11:30 pm

i've been twitching for 2 years. it started with my calf's and feet like many on here. it would drive me to pt of insanity. then all of a sudden 15 months ago is aid thats enough and thy've enver really bothered me since. but of course the twitches move. i'm battling lower eyelid twitches now as thats worse than the calfs.
joeyata1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management