Lexapro

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Lexapro

Postby kristinz on February 10th, 2005, 11:16 am

I just got back from a routine visit with my GP. She prescribed Lexapro 1x day and Ativan as needed to help with anxiety.

Ativan works for me- however, I'm only to take this as needed. I've never tried a drug like Lexapro. HAS ANYONE HAD A POSITIVE RESULT FROM LEXAPRO? I've read a few negitive ones.

Please let me know- Kristin
It could be worse! :)
kristinz

Postby Roger G. on February 10th, 2005, 12:19 pm

Lexapro is one of the newer SSRI,s (anti-anxiety,anti-depressants)It is an excellent medication. Take as prescribed, and do not stop if you do not see immediate results. Side effects are minimal if any. It can take up to four weeks to see all the benificial effects. This is not to say you will not see them sooner,as with all meds, results differ with each individual. A note about the Ativan (generic name Lorazapam) this is one of the most effective anti anxiety,anti panic drugs Available. If taken as directed (preferably only when needed) it can stop an anxeity or panic attack dead in its tracks :!: :lol: . these two medications are excellent.

Good Luck, Keep In Touch :wink:
Roger G.
Hero
Hero

Dosage recommendation

Postby kristinz on February 10th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Thanks Roger-

My doctor currently prescribed 10mg 1x of Lexapro daily- she mentioned that if I felt the side effects to decrease the dosage to 5mg 1X daily. Any advice on the dosage?

Ativan is pretty amazing! My GP was too concerned with the addictiveness of the medication to make it a daily medication. However, at least I have it for the bad days !!

Kristin
Last edited by kristinz on February 10th, 2005, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kristinz

Postby amy_twitch on February 10th, 2005, 12:40 pm

I've taken ativan and loved it....it's wonderful for getting rid of anxiety (same type of drug as xanax). I also tried Lexapro--but couldn't get past the side effects...it's like it made my anxiety worse. HOWEVER, I never took both in combination. Therefore, I'd say, give the Lexapro a go, but definitely take the Ativan everyday for the first few weeks while your body gets used to the Lexapro. Then wean back on the ativan only as needed. Luckily, you have a doctor who recognizes that the side effects of drugs like Lexapro are often unpleasant at first--and therefore knew to co-prescribe ativan to help you through. Who knows, maybe you'll have no negative side effects.

Last note: If you are nervous about the lexapro--there's no harm in just trying the ativan for a month. People with anxiety are the least likely people to form any addictions (because all we want is to feel normal without the use of any drugs). Anti anxiety drugs like ativan have helped many people here on this board (including me) through our roughest times. I don't know of anyone who had troubles weaning off them. The SSRIs have mixed results, and though it seems like all you hear is negative things--there are people on here who have had success with them.

Let us know how it works out for you!

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Side effects

Postby kristinz on February 10th, 2005, 12:43 pm

Amy-

What side effects did you have from Lexapro?
kristinz

Postby thetwitchkid on February 10th, 2005, 12:44 pm

Hi.
I haven't posted lately because I am hardly twitching and I am not stressed about dying from ALS. I have been taking Lexapro for awile with great succees. (See my old posts)

Please note that its full effects take months to kick in .

Be well
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Roger G. on February 10th, 2005, 1:11 pm

Stick with the lexapro. If you want, start with 5mg and gradually increase to 10mg. Dont worry about the side effects, they should be "NO" factor. And dont try to look them up either.experience tells me if I read about a side effect,odds are I will get it :!: So I dont really investigate them any more. I think you will do fine with these meds. Also take the ativan only as needed. It is an outstanding medication when used as directed :wink:
Roger G.
Hero
Hero

Postby eleven on February 11th, 2005, 9:50 am

When my BFS started, my doctor prescribed Ativan to get me through the rough times. It was wonderful, but also very addictive. And to "use only as needed" didnt work for me, because I had anxiety attacks every single day. So, then my doctor wanted to get me on an SSRI for the long term. He prescribed Lexapro, and told me to keep taking the Ativan for about a month until the Lexapro kicked in. It is important to do this since the Lexapro will have little-to-no effect for weeks.!

I have been on Lexapro about 9 months now. It has been a blessing. It took about 2 months to get the full benefit of the medication. As for side effects, I havent really been affected very much. Some drowsiness at first, but your body soon adapts to this. The thing with side effects is that if you keep taking the drug your body adapts to the side effects and you will no longer have them. To me, the relief of the overwhelming anxiety was worth any temporary side effects.
So, my advice is to definitely give the Lexapro a try. It has really helped me deal with this stressful thing called BFS. Lexapro is the best SSRI available, in my opinion.
The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow -William Blake
eleven

Thank you

Postby kristinz on February 11th, 2005, 11:01 am

Thank you everyone for the advice. I have my first EMG on Monday and figure I'll try the Lexapro after that. I'm twitching all over today and yes... the ativan works to mellow my worries. However, I know Ativan is not the long term solution.
:) Kristin
kristinz

Postby Roger G. on February 11th, 2005, 11:34 am

Kristinz, I feel you should start the lexapro now. It will in no way interfere with your testing. The sooner you start the meds the sooner you will see results :lol:

Anyway ,Good Luck With Your Test :!:
Roger G.
Hero
Hero

Postby Rolon on February 14th, 2005, 9:57 pm

kristinz

I was prescibed both Lexapro and Lorazapam. I am one of few that had a bad experience while taking Lexapro and quit taking it. Looking back, I'm not 100% sure that the Lexapro caused my bad experience, but I quit taking it and the bad experience stopped.

I did take Lorazpam and found it to be very helpful during my anxiety attacks. I also found it to be a great way to get some much needed sleep. I did, however, feel some aftereffects from taking it, sort of like a hang over. I started to cut the pills in half and found out what worked best for me. After about two months, I slowly weaned myself completely off of it. Even though I stopped taking it, I carried it with me for a couple more months, just in case I needed it, but I never did.

I think you should go with Rodger G's advice and take the Lexapro. Everyone says once you get past the first couple weeks, you will be glad you are taking it.

I hoped I helped your decision and not hindered it.

rolon
Rolon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management