[b]Cramp control[/b]

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

[b]Cramp control[/b]

Postby lhughes on February 6th, 2005, 10:58 am

I've been twitching for at least 15 years now, almost always in the calves, with occasional minor problems elsewhere. I've also always suffered easily from cramp, and there is a connection. I used to be woken regularly by severe cramp in the calves.

In recent years, following advice from a friend, I've been taking Chelated Calcium & Magnesium, and this seems to control the cramp. The twitching is unaffected, and seems to be getting worse, but so long as I remember to take the Calcium I don't get cramp.

It takes a couple of weeks to have any effect, so if you try it, stick with it.

Hope this post helps someone.

By thw way I'd be interested to hear if other people have found their symptoms get worse during and after a virus infection. I've just had 'flu, and my legs are more uncomfortable at present than I can ever remember, and they feel slightly numb, as if the blood supply is restricted. This is new for me. Any feedback gratefully received.

Les
lhughes

Postby Stephanie on February 6th, 2005, 2:21 pm

lack of Mg is a major cause of muscle twitches. I just read about it in a health mag. I've read that some people have an increase in twitches after being sick on various posts. I just started taking Mg glycinate. Supposed to be good.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby joeyata1 on February 6th, 2005, 7:18 pm

is that jsut regular magnesium vitamins and if not were do i get it
joeyata1

Cramping

Postby Davey on February 7th, 2005, 4:11 pm

My neurologist has prescribed quinine sulfate (260 mg twice a day) for my cramps.

My cramps aren't spontaneous, but usually caused by a certain movement. When I sit on my feet (as part of a yoga or stretching routine), my feet cramp. My calves cramp when I run. Very bothersome.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby homer8 on February 7th, 2005, 6:57 pm

I read this a couple of weeks ago and have been taking 400 IU of vitimin E daily...it has been helping minimize the cramps by 90%.

Vitamin E and Leg Cramps
Robert F. Cathcart, III, M.D. The Journal of the American Medical Association, Jan. 10, 1972, Vol. 219, No. 2.

To the editor: - The increasing interest in vitamin E (tocopherol) in California has led to tremendous public self-experimentation. Health food stores sell massive amounts of concentrated vitamin E.

Ayres and Mihan ("Leg Cramps [Systremma] and 'Restless Legs' Syndrome") observed a reference to vitamin E (Calif. Med. 111:87, 1969). In the practice of orthopedics, idiopathic leg cramp and other types of muscle cramps are common complaints. Because of this article, I casually began to prescribe the vitamin in the doses recommended - 300 international units (I.U.) a day - first to patients complaining of leg cramps and other types of idiopathic cramps, and then sometimes to patients with pain in the neck and lower part of the back. I have now prescribed the medication to almost 100 patients.

I would agree with Ayres and Mihan that the medication is almost universally effective on idiopathic nocturnal leg cramps. In my opinion, it is more effective and safer to use than quinine or quinine-aminophylline combinations. Certainly, the dosages we have been prescribing and the dosages taken by the health food advocates are in excess of anything conceived of being a minimum daily requirement for the vitamin. The amount is also far in excess of what could possibly be obtained through any reasonable normal diet.

Give it a try!

Paul
homer8

Quinine

Postby kristinz on February 7th, 2005, 7:50 pm

Not to be ignorant... what are the dangers of quinine? My neurologist seems to think this will help! We are going to discuss this at my 2/14 appt. I'd love to have some knowledge from all you "pros". :lol:

I've been trying a magnesium/calcium supplement (less cramping at times...). Who knows...

No shoulder twitches today!! YEAH!!!!! I'm just thinking positive.

:P Kristin
It could be worse! :)
kristinz

Postby homer8 on February 7th, 2005, 11:58 pm

I'm certainly no pro but I believe it can cause heart problems and kidney problems in high doses. I'm sure that your neuro will give you a low enough dose.
Let us know what you find out.

Paul
homer8

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management