Anti-viral medications seem to be helping...

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anti-viral medications seem to be helping...

Postby unlucky_guy00 on January 30th, 2005, 2:22 pm

This is still preliminary, but I've seemingly found relief by taking anti-viral medication on a daily basis. When I took acyclovir (or generic Valtrex) everyday...my symptoms were reduced significantly.

It is possible that the anti-virals prevented viral replication of whatever virus seems to be causing me to have fasics. I'm wondering that if I stayed on them long enough (they are very safe with few, if any side effects), that my body a chance to completely fight this off once and for all.

The thing is, I'm thinking that BFS is some sort of virus which the body is having a hard time fighting off...sort of like Mono. Maybe Acyclovir (Valtrex) is the answer??? Anyone have any thoughts?
unlucky_guy00

me too

Postby John_JR on January 30th, 2005, 3:13 pm

I too believe many of us here are twitching due to some type of infection. I've had good results with several antibiotic trials and anti-protozoan drugs, and now copper treatment (I just started a new thread on this). The real question is what type of pathogen is causing it? I've seen posts that it might be bacterial (as in lyme), mycoplasma (virus/bacterium hybrid), prion (virus fragment), or simply a mystery virus. Feel free to search for any of my other posts on this board. Please keep us posted on your progress, or shoot me a PM.
John R.
John_JR

Postby juli847 on January 31st, 2005, 5:06 pm

I am also wondering about this twitching thing being viral. Have any of you had night sweats occassionally, almost like you are trying to break a fever?
juli847

Postby Johnny on January 31st, 2005, 5:49 pm

I think there's some merit to the viral thing. I've been twitching for 14 months now and I SWEAR my wife is now twitching more than she ever has - if she even did before. She can't remember if she twitched before I started worrying about ALS, but I'll be dipped if she hasn't twitched tons since. In fact, there are days when she twitches more than me, according to her. So I've been thinking it's way wore than a coincidence that she is now a twitcher but she NEVER mentioned it to me before I started twitching.

And I have had night sweats too.
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Postby LeeNC on January 31st, 2005, 8:36 pm

I've had night sweats, too, but I'm of The Age when that is the norm (woman in her 40's).

I notice my fingertip blisters disappear when my BFS symptoms lessen, and I think (however unsavory the premise) that my BFS just MIGHT be an autoimmune response to a more-common-than-you-might-think herrpes simplex (HS-1) viral infection.

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

To Johnny

Postby John_JR on February 1st, 2005, 4:23 am

Johnny, that's when my mind was made up that is infection-related was when my wife started twitching too and I saw a few of her twitches with my own eyes! She never had them before we got together.
John R.
John_JR

Postby jasonh_22 on February 3rd, 2005, 11:43 pm

I've get unexplained night sweats every once in a while too, now that I think about it.
jasonh_22

Viral Meds

Postby brian4444 on February 4th, 2005, 6:48 am

To the initial post:

How did you convince your doctor to try Valtrex or antibiotics? My problems started 7 months ago after a viral/bacterial infection and I have discussed the viral/bacterial theory to 2 different internists and three neuros. (no definitive diagnoses yet). None is willing to prescribe an anti-viral or antibiotic - even though I did experience lessened symptoms when I had to take a short course of antibiotics recently.

Medicine seems to be the only profession that if they don't know what something is (what "box" to put it in) they don't do anything. It's crazy.
brian4444
Interested
Interested

Postby jasonh_22 on February 4th, 2005, 10:15 am

Brian 444,

Tell him you have cold sores and wanna use Valtrex to control them. That is what Valtrex is typically proscribed for.
jasonh_22

Postby Floater on February 5th, 2005, 7:07 pm

night sweats are present during viral infections..though night sweats are also related to blood sugar and lung disease.. yes and my wife twitches also. its very scary watchin her twitches,,,makes me believe we both have a weird disease
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby unlucky_guy00 on February 12th, 2005, 4:14 am

So I'm pretty sure that anti-virals ARE helping. I've been taking them lately, and have yet to have a day where my twitching flares up. I can actually say that, for the first time since I started twitching, that they've been "manageable."

My current regimen:
- one 400 mg Acyclovir anti-viral pills, twice daily
- One Centrum Performance vitamin daily

Work-out supplements:
- One 250 mg Magnesium dietary supplement
- Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glutamine, and Taurine exercise supplement

I can honestly say that with this regimen, that 1) My twitches are much less and 2) Taking creatine has actually made my exercise intolerance much much better (I don't tremble nearly as much when I'm lifting weights)....

Good luck all
unlucky_guy00

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management