Newbie with buzzing and periodic twitching...

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Newbie with buzzing and periodic twitching...

Postby Jennifer Hong on January 5th, 2005, 4:20 am

Hi all,

I've been experiencing muscle twitching since last April(during my twin pregnancy). It started only in my left hand but since giving birth has escalated to various parts of my body off/on - hand, foot, thigh, eye, lower lip, - you name it , I have twitched. I also feel a buzzing sensation in my body when I got to sleep(I don't notice it much during the day) - it's like the feeling of a mild earthquake or a running car in my body! So weird. I don't have any weakness that I can tell. I haven't gone to my GP yet(very busy with newborn twins!)...I'll probably go for a checkup in a few weeks. I am very worried though.

Are these symptoms similar to anyone else?

Thanks.

Jenny
Jennifer Hong

Postby fabfab on January 5th, 2005, 4:25 am

Yep !
I guess most of us have been through this - or still are. As long as you've got no real weakness, nor muscular atrophy or other very serious problems, you're safe. I am not sure, but I also think that a lot of women here have began experiencing twitchings during or just after pregnancy.
So, welcome to the club. You'll find a lot of help and comfort here.
:)
Fabrice
fabfab
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

We buzz

Postby Ish on January 5th, 2005, 1:18 pm

We buzz, we do. zzzzzzzt zzzzzt Many of us anyway. In my case it is my thighs. Makes me check my cell phone. Buzzing and less classifiable sensatins.

[24/7 twitching (all over by esp calves and thighs), 1.5 years. EMG "normal except for fx". Neuro dx: bfs]
Ish

Postby speg on January 5th, 2005, 1:21 pm

Sounds like classic BFS to me. I don't think ALS twitches are all over the place, and it is very rare to twitch before PROFOUND weakness. Mine started 7 months ago in my left calf. I was concerned cause it was in one spot for a long time. Now, it's probably 75% there and 25% in hands, feet, thigh, other calf . . . I also have the buzzing. It is mostly in my left leg. I have had that for YEARS with no ill effect. If you've been twitching since April, you are safe. Mine started in May, and my neuro said I would have OBVIOUS weakness by four months, six months would put me in the clear. Since I suffer from health anxiety, I probably will worry until I hit one year, but each month helps. My neuro told me I had ZERO chance of ALS, and all he did was a neuro exam!

Peg

(I am currently pregnant, but no increase in twitching. However, I do have thigh numbness and tingling in one leg.)
speg
Hero
Hero

Thank you!!

Postby Jennifer Hong on January 5th, 2005, 7:27 pm

Thank you so much for posting back to me! It feels good to know that I'm not alone in this. DH thinks I'm a hypo(well, I am to some extent).. I do tend to worry too much about everything - my anxiety level is always high! I did have twitches in my thigh about 10 years ago but never thought anything about it - they just went away...but this is just driving me bonkers!

I hope that all i have is BFS and I'm waiting to see the doctor at least for now unless something changse - weakness etc.

Peg - congrats on your pregnancy! I'm glad to hear that your twitches have not increased and that you're healthy!

Thanks again! I'll be lurking and posting here.

Jenny
Jennifer Hong

Postby Stephanie on January 5th, 2005, 7:45 pm

Jenny-my twitches started when I was 3 months pregnant. Every second in calves/ankles/feet & every few minutes elsewhere. Anxiety can make it worse and the physical stress of pregnancy followed by lack of sleep certainly does not help. If you have been twitching since April w/no profound weakness then you have no worries. Get your Calcium etc checked since pregnancy can deplete you.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on January 5th, 2005, 9:17 pm

Stephanie,

I am worried once the baby is born and I am getting no sleep, the twitching will get back and freak me out. Mine are ALWAYS worse on little or even just less sleep. Hopefully, I won't freak cause I will make my one year mark close to the delivery!

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Re: Newbie with buzzing and periodic twitching...

Postby LeeNC on January 6th, 2005, 10:53 pm

Jennifer Hong wrote:Hi all,

I've been experiencing muscle twitching since last April(during my twin pregnancy). It started only in my left hand but since giving birth has escalated to various parts of my body off/on - hand, foot, thigh, eye, lower lip, - you name it , I have twitched. I also feel a buzzing sensation in my body when I got to sleep(I don't notice it much during the day) - it's like the feeling of a mild earthquake or a running car in my body! So weird. I don't have any weakness that I can tell. I haven't gone to my GP yet(very busy with newborn twins!)...I'll probably go for a checkup in a few weeks. I am very worried though.

Are these symptoms similar to anyone else?

Thanks.

Jenny

Jenny:

Hey, if I was about to have twins, I'd be twitching for sure! :D How wonderful. I hope you are enjoying your little ones.

Your symptoms are exactly like mine (and many people's here) - twitches all over, and that shaky feeling. I especially feel the shakiness when I'm lying down, and most often upon awakening. Like I'm driving on a rough road. In my head, arms, and chest. Hard to explain. The great news is, it is annoying but benign. I've had it for 7 months and am just now thinking it might be lessening a bit. Most of us don't really feel assured until some time passes - like 3 months, or 6 months, or a year, whatever, with no real worsening of symptoms. I hope we can provide some comfort to you. Don't expect to stop twitching. Do expect to feel flat-out exhausted over the next few months (and you've got a FAR better excuse for that than most of us do). And for some people, this BFS stuff is not permanent. I really am feeling a bit better as time goes by.

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Thanks Lee..

Postby Jennifer Hong on January 7th, 2005, 3:11 pm

Thank you so much for your post. It does bring me some relief...The paranoia for me settles in at night too. I frequently lie there now wondering what is wrong with me. My symptoms are similar to yours in that I feel like I'm in a car. So strange.

Anyhow, does anyone know if you can do a babinski reflex test on yourself? I know that sounds stupid but I'm wondering if my reflexes are okay??

Thanks again and hugs to all.

Jenny
Jennifer Hong

Postby fabfab on January 7th, 2005, 4:56 pm

Hi Jennifer,
I don't think you can do the babinski test on yourself. Anyway, it wouldn't teach you much, as it used mainly to detect MS. Obviously, your problem is an anxiety one, like most of us (if not all). No wonder with newborn twins and an hypondriac disposition !
Try to relax. If you've got no weakness and are twitching since april, then you're fine - even if you don't feel so. I'm just amazed to see what spirit can do to the body.
If you can't cope with anxiety, then find a good neuro or a good GP. He/she will perform basic tests and assure you that you have not what you think you have. If he/she is persuasive enough, you'll feel euphoric for a few hours or a few days, during which your twitching will probably be less of a concern - which will be the proof that it's, for a good part, an anxiety problem !!
Come here often. You'll find wonderful people and a lot of reassuring news. One day your rational part will get over it - you'll feel tired of reading always the some thing, and twitching will not be a concern anymore. It may take time. But we are here - and we're all, at some extents, experiencing the same thing.
Pardon my english - which may not be very good.
I hope you'll soon feel better.
Fabrice
fabfab
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

feelings at night

Postby eric on January 7th, 2005, 9:06 pm

jenny have you been in the woods or in a place with high grass in the last twenty years? some people have had a vibrating sensation at night in there backs and only when they are sleeping. tick born disease is common so if you think you have been exposed then get yourself checked. this is a reversable disease so its worth looking after. also you might experience strange sensation in the body as well. im not a doctor but Ive been there.
alot of people dont get the rash..
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Hi guys...

Postby Jennifer Hong on January 13th, 2005, 7:16 am

Eric, I can't remember the last time that I've been in the woods..Probably camping maybe 12 years ago. How do you get checked for Lyme Disease??

Fab, I agree with ya! I' m definitely a high anxiety person. I remember reading about Jennifer Estress/ALS in a magazine that mentioned her twitching - I swear I started twitching after I read that article. I'm such a hypochondriac.

I got some valium and have been taking about 2.5mg at night to help me sleep. Since doing this, my twitches have reduced amazingly so that just confirms the anxiety part for me.

Thanks for your help all!!

Jenny
Jennifer Hong

jenny

Postby eric on January 13th, 2005, 7:56 am

my lyme disease started when sleeping i would feel like a sort of vibration from the back, also sometimes when just laying down to sleep I would feel my back sinking into the couch for 5 seconds, the lyme had invaded my peripheral nerves, there is no real way tell by the doctors tests as they are unreliable, the reason is there tests are not very strong or looking for most of the bands of lyme. you need western blot from igenx in ca. if you have any bands you have been exposed to lyme disease. i have had lyme for 12 years before anything bad realy happened and that was the start of my bfs. you dont need a bullseye rash as it is not always seen. there are alot of people who got it years ago and are just starting to see the effects now,
eric
ps rule it out!
eric
Hero
Hero

jenny

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management