Why can't I get ever any peace??

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Why can't I get ever any peace??

Postby jasonh_22 on December 12th, 2004, 3:08 am

I just miss being able to lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling in peace and quiet...and just plain relaxing WITHOUT constantly twitching. With BFS, I just feel like I can never get any peace.

My way of dealing with this has been to constantly be up and on the go...until I run myself down so much that the second I hit my pillow I fall asleep. That way I won't have to deal with the uncomfortable feeling of trying to fall asleep while twitching non-stop. My BFS bothers me more than anything when I am simply trying to lie in my bed in peace and quiet, and just relax....this has become all but impossible now. I had a girlfriend and often times she just wanted to "snuggle" together...but this was like pure torture because all I would do was twitch, twitch, twitch...rather than being able to enjoy the moment.

Does anyone have any idea how I can stop my twitches even temporarily?? Heck, I would be the happiest man on Earth if I could just have 5 minutes of peace for once, without a twitch.

Sorry for rambling, but not being able to enjoy just the simplest thing in life such as staring at the ceiling, has sort of thrown me into a slight depression. Any comments??
jasonh_22

Postby unlucky_guy00 on December 12th, 2004, 3:15 am

That sucks. I completely know how you feel. I tend to get very frustrated when I'm just trying to sit down and watch a little TV...or when I try to read a book. Heck, sometimes it gets so bad that I actually have to stand up and read my book, as strange as it sounds.

Maybe you should try some meditation techniques. Its not healthy to CONSTANTLY be active...you'll run yourself ragged and be liable to just "flip out" one of these days.

Anyway, I completely know how you feel, and this condition can have a debilitating emotional impact.

Good luck.
unlucky_guy00

Postby Pasics Pete on December 12th, 2004, 8:15 am

Jason:
All I can offer is that I've been there and that hopefully, like me, your symptoms will eventually begin to dissipate. As difficult as it sounds, try to be patient. 7 years ago I seemed to twitch every waking moment, these days I actually manage to go hours without a noticeable twitch and sometimes I even go days without the big "thumpers."
Most of us here realize how mentally exhausting this condition can be but try your best to ignore it all. I've found that stressing about it only intensifies the symptoms.
Best,
Pete
Pasics Pete
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LeeNC on December 12th, 2004, 7:34 pm

My suggestion? Wine. Effective, if temporary.
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on December 12th, 2004, 8:00 pm

I know what you are going through. I think the only thing that may help is changing your mindset. You have to find a way to accept that you just twitch and nothing bad is wrong with you, this way you will not be so focused on the twitching and therefore they won't bother you as much.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby amy_twitch on December 12th, 2004, 9:07 pm

Hi Jason,

I know exactly how you feel---I went though months and months and months of feeling the same way....but like Pete's, my symptoms have finally dissipated to occasional twitches. I have many hours---even days at a time--of twitch free bliss. It took a year from my first day of twitching to get to this point. I can't remember how long it's been for you, but do give it time...it should ease up, though only time will tell how long (if ever) it will take for these twitches to stop for us completely.

Rest easy, and for now, make the twitches your friend....and try the wine idea. Wine is always good :)

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on December 12th, 2004, 11:22 pm

Jason,

The quiet times are always the worst for me also. The only advice I can give is for you to try to change your focus. For me, when I go to bed, I always read. During my most anxious filled times I would read the bible, currently I'm finishing the latest Harry Potter book (I've read them all, but I don't really enjoy them). This diversion really helps me to relax without focusing on the twitching. A change in focus will not only help you at bed time, but it will also be of benefit throughout the day. It was amazing how much my life changed for the better once the twitching stopped dominating my thoughts.

Or you could just drink (a lot!) of wine :D !

Take care,

Gary
garym

Wine or Whine

Postby stevepaul on December 13th, 2004, 6:46 am

I've never been able to get my head round this "do something else it will take you mind off it". One of the functions of the brain is tell you something is wrong with your body. Now to my mind, as long as the twitching continues then your brain is going to carry on telling you that something is not right. I've covered my theory on why you notice it more while at rest, it may well be wrong but I have'nt heard an alternative theory.

Alcohol certainly does help to ease the symptoms, there could be two reasons for this. either the pain killing effect, or the muscle relaxing effect and on some occasions I've been so relaxed I've fell over.

So at the end of the day, you can have a good wine, or a good whine. I've found both can be beneficial.

LeeNC. Meat pie first, mouthwash after.
Steve.
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Wine or Whine

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management