Speech Difficulties caused by BFS?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Speech Difficulties caused by BFS?

Postby jasonh_22 on December 6th, 2004, 1:51 pm

Hi everyone, I wanted to know if this is a normal BFS symptom or something more. First off, let me say I have been twitching for about a year now, and I have gone through all the tests to rule out anything else (MRI, EMG, CT Scans, blood tests, etc.)

Anyway, my concern is this. For the past month I have noticed that at times I have difficulty speaking. I know what I want to say, but it just doesn't come out clearly. I have never in my life had this problem, because I have given countless speeches before, and public speaking is my forte.

Are my speech difficulties related to BFS? Sometimes I'm fine, other times I foul up and cannot get my words to come out clearly. Can anyone relate?
jasonh_22

Postby garym on December 6th, 2004, 2:24 pm

jason,

I think that slurring is normal for everyone a little, depending on the circumstances (Like when you are tired). I also know for a fact that I would slur a little long before BFS was ever a concern (public speaking is not my forte). I would, however, follow up with your neuro just to be on the safe side. But I'm sure it is either just you being hyper-vigilant or just nothing to worry about.

Get it checked out and let us know how it goes. BTW, how are the rest of your sxs after a year? Any improvement?

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby amy_twitch on December 6th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Hi Jason,
Remember too, that this can be an extremely common symptom of anxiety. When I've had my worst bouts of anxiety (looking back), I definitely had many times where I couldn't get words out correctly...almost like I'd feel completely lost or stuck while trying to communicate. This, in turn, only caused more anxiety because it's a little freaky to feel like you can't speak correctly. I agree with Gary--tiredness can come into play as well.

Unfortunately, this is also one of those quirky things where the more you focus on it, the worse it will seem....and I emphasize the word 'seem'. Do your best not to focus on it--not always easy, I know--and then see how you are doing in a few weeks. I bet it will pass. It might come back many times over, but the good news is that it DOES pass.

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

nerve hyperexcitability and bulbar symptoms

Postby Davey on December 6th, 2004, 6:26 pm

You may be experiencing bulbar symptoms of BFS nerve hyperexcitability. Some patients experience this, including myself. There may also be mild cognitive impairment, like word mix-ups, or that "in a fog" feeling. This will be more common for people with twitching in their trunk or tongue than patients with symptoms confined to their extremities.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby LadyChester on December 6th, 2004, 7:19 pm

I also have difficulties from time to time with getting out the right words. I teach at a college, so sometimes this can be a major problem for me. I think in my case it is part of what others call a "mental fog." I haven't felt quite as sharp since I've been having trouble with PNH.
LadyChester
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management