Continuous twitching in feet and calves -- Treatment?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Continuous twitching in feet and calves -- Treatment?

Postby Davey on November 29th, 2004, 1:47 pm

Hello all!

This post is directed to veteran twitchers, but if anyone has anything to offer, feel free.

I've been twitching for 3.5 years, with generalized twitching, exercise intolerance, muscle soreness, however my feet have been twitching constantly for over 3 years. Unfortunately in late August, my symptoms flared up and I've had continuous twitching in my calves and feet. The twitching is constant, visible, and increases with physical activity. Associated with this is muscle soreness, stiffness, easy fatigue and cramping. My neuro gave me an Rx for quinine sulfate 250 mg/bid for the cramping.

I've tried Ca, Mg, low doses of Q10 and B12 supplements, as well as eating lots of bananas for K, but to no avail.

How many people have similar symptoms and has anyone found a treatment that will calm these twitches? This is really becoming annoying! I am scheduled to see my neuro again on December 10th, and I will likely ask my neuro for an Rx for Neurontin (I've been on it before) and/or Tegretol.

:x
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Stephanie on November 29th, 2004, 9:18 pm

Nothing has worked thus far for me. I am currently on antibiotics for Lyme and Mycoplasma but, if anything, my symptoms have gotten worse. My Dr said that certain antibiotics (I think penicillins) make the twitching worse.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby stevepaul on November 30th, 2004, 6:06 pm

Hello Dave

After nine years with this thing I can tell you what has eased my symptoms. A small amount of Diazapam 2/4mg and a painkiller 2/3 times a week would allways give me a few hours break from the twitching and sore muscles. Over the last few years my nero has allways changed my tabs if I've not reported an improvement. Since I've been on the Neurontin+Gabapentin combo I've experienced a good improvement and have had no need for the Diazapam/ painkillers but it has taken a long time to get there. I just think its a case of trial and error till you find what suits the individuall. Why not ask about these combo's. A couple of drinks in an evening is another way I found of getting a few hours relief.

Steve.
stevepaul
Hero
Hero

Postby LeeNC on November 30th, 2004, 9:11 pm

Steve and others:

Yes, I must agree about the alcohol. Now I really DO drink wine "for medicinal purposes." One or two drinks provides hours of relief. Not that I can condone alcohol use, as it is known to increase a woman's risk of breast cancer. But we all make choices! :lol:

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on December 1st, 2004, 9:23 am

It marginally increases risk for breast cancer. If taken with folic acid, this risk is reduced. It also has great benefits for the heart.
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby teejay on December 2nd, 2004, 1:23 am

Oh man! I was just browsing google, and I didn't think anyone had the same thing as me! IM NOT ALONE! Good to know, because doctors down here in FL, I've been to Miami, and all over... didn't know what the heck it is. All my EMG and blood tests, and MRI's, all came back normal. They said something about BFS, but didn't diagnose me. I took Tegeratol [carbotrol], and it didn't do much good. Anyways, I've had it since my frshmen year in highschool, and I graduated in 2003. It started with cramps in my calves, and my mother thought it was growing pains. Well, it wasn't. My calves, are seriously, now HUMOUNGOUS... and everyone is always like 'Do you work your calves out a lot"... and I don't even work out anymore. I know you guys have the twitches, but is anyone elses calves extremly huge? I look like freakin' pop-eye... It has spread throughout my body as well, it's in my back, and arms.. and chest.. Blah. Anyways, i'm out. let me know!
teejay

Big calves

Postby Davey on December 2nd, 2004, 2:22 pm

Muscle hypertrophy is a common symptom in Peripheral Nerve Hyperexcitablity (PNH) disorders. Hart et al. (2002) found that in 22% of patients. You get a workout without even leaving the couch!!

:D
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Big calves

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management