New twitch spot! Help!

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New twitch spot! Help!

Postby speg on November 23rd, 2004, 9:46 pm

Ok folks! Just when I was starting to feel better about this, and after a week of no twitching, I come home tonight to a new twitch. Maybe it was the stressing over my joints that triggered it, but I got home and felt a "butterfly" sensation in my right foot. (Remember I am primarily a left calf twicher.) I looked at it and sure enough -- there was a big, pulsating twitch across my instep! Is this a common area? Actually it was in 2-3 different spots, and looked like my calf does -- like an invisible finger poking the skin or the muscle contracting. It has been twitching every few minutes for an hour now. I had something similar happen to my thumb pad a few months ago (lasted a couple days or so) and that sent me into a tailspin. I always panic when one of my outer extremities starts up! (That "starts in one hand or foot" thing.) Then I noticed another little spot on the side of my ankle going non-stop like a pulse!!! Could this be my pulse?

Has anyone experienced this?

Peg
6 month twitcher
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on November 23rd, 2004, 10:08 pm

That could definitely be your pulse. The feet,ankles and calves are non stop for me. I won't let myself look though. Do yourself a big favor and don't look either, it'll save you from some panic attacks!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on November 23rd, 2004, 10:14 pm

Well, after staring at it for a while, I put on some socks. The twitches in the instep were real twitches, but the ankle thing was pulsating too fast. I just hate this!
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Barb916 on November 24th, 2004, 6:32 pm

Peg

I have tons of twitchs in my left foot and ankle. It's been going on for a couple months now. I can also bring them out by tapping on my foot, like the neuros do. I'm still walking fine so I guess I'm/We're OK :D

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on November 24th, 2004, 8:52 pm

If I tap my left hand I can bring out twitches too.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on November 26th, 2004, 11:43 am

I spoke to my brother last night who has BFS. He's had it for 5 years now. He said he twitches everywhere and has had "it all" -- big and small, visibile and non-visible, lingering and one-hitters. He has never seen a neuro for it, his GP told him stress/anxiety. (It obviously can have a genetic link.) He is more of a "varied" twitcher than I am, and he doesn't have the left calf problem like I do. But he has just learned to live with it and does not worry about it.

He said the only thing that concerns him is when he coughs or sneezes, it sets off twitches everywhere!
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Donna L. on November 27th, 2004, 6:22 pm

Hi Peg,

I have had constant instep twitching since all this started about 6 months ago. When I got my EMG, the neuro found one twitch in my instep. It was the only place he found any. Apparently a beningn twitch and a more serious twitch look different on the EMG. He said it was just a benign twitch and didn't think anything of it at all. If I look at my arches, they are almost always twitching, some I feel and some I don't. I can also induce them to twitch if I poke around with my finger on my instep area in both feet. I try not to look anymore. I know there there, I just have to believe that it's not anything more serious. Every Dr. I have seen about the twitches has told me if I have twitched for all this time with no weakness and a normal EMG, I don't have ALS.

It sure would be nice to know what the cause is though! And how to make it all stop!

Take care,
Donna L.
Donna L.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management