Cognitive problems? Please respond if you the same

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Cognitive problems? Please respond if you the same

Postby traveler27 on November 7th, 2004, 5:46 pm

My symptoms started 15 mos. ago. I have a myriad of symptoms, most of the common ones listed for BFS. The short term memory problems are getting to me right now. I can't remember anything I need at the store. I never was much for lists, so I can't remember to make the list! At work I'm having trouble concentrating. If it's a busy day, and my natural adrenaline kicks in to get the work done, my system goes haywire. I'm trying to learn new things, but when I read the procedure, it's like I've just had a few martinis, and it's hard to make sense of anything. This has me worried, because my other symptoms aren't really noticable to anyone else, but I hate to have to explain anything at work. I don't need anything else to worry about right now.
traveler27

Cognitive problems

Postby Buzzygirl on November 7th, 2004, 10:13 pm

I had the same type of problem early on when BFS first started with me. I was chalking up the "fuzzy thinking" to Menopause. It really scared me, I would lose my train of thought, had difficulty concentrating, and also had to write EVERYTHING down at work. I went to my GP told her about it, and some other strange physical sensations, numbness in my scalp and face, boy was that ever weird. Anyway, she was nice enough to order and MRI, it was negative......of course. Thank God really. So anyway, these symptoms passed, and new ones appeared. What I now know is BFS stuff going on. I actually had a second MRI when the numbness, tingling, buzzing, vibrating started in my leg, and then migrated to my shoulder. Again my GP was genuinely concerned, and nice enough to order the second MRI. The second one was a closed MRI, and again it was negative. So off to the neuro I went, with all the above symptoms, AND twitching muscles added to the mix. He ordered my EMG, which again was normal. So that and a variety of blood tests, all normal, basically added up to zip.
Hope that helps, and yes, the cognitive problem seems to have resolved (most days). But it can be extremely upsetting, and of course exacerbates all of the other stuff!
Buzzygirl

congnitive dysfunction

Postby eric on November 7th, 2004, 10:56 pm

both of the above sound like a lyme type of problem, lyme and its coinfections produce symptoms close to what you have said above. they most of the time dont show up on mri. but if you were to get a spect scan then if you had it you would see it in that test. I am not telling you to get one, im just trying to inform you. cognitive dysfunction,wierd sensations while sleeping,tingling in the head,panic attacks and gad, leggs feeling wierd,blurring eyes, facial twitches, feeling like you are going to go crazy and that there is something bad going on in the body, also blood test never show anything going on, and no test so far can really test for it . response to antibiotics is the key.
spect scan is the #1 test for lyme and differant infections. but you will have to talk to a doctor about that. also remeber that if you do have lyme you will have a fight in front of you as it is very hard to get treated correctly. doctors just dont know about lyme and the problems is if you have it then you get worse and there off the hook. they never treated you in the first place.
the above is my opinion and ive been there . im no doctor just a guy with common sense.
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby traveler27 on November 7th, 2004, 11:00 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yours came early on, mine came later. I really do worry about losing my mind! Someone is going to have to try really hard to convince me that this is all going to be ok. Are you able to exercise at all? Exercising used to be my source of well being. It was like, well, everything else is going to hell, but at least I can have a nice bike ride and feel good! That's been gone since January - anything that gets my heart rate going faster doesn't work out with me anymore. Have you had any joint problems? I've had a few swollen joints here and there. I'd rather have that than the mental stuff. I'm seeing a rheumatologist Weds., try again to see what he thinks.
traveler27

please get tested for lyme

Postby eric on November 8th, 2004, 6:26 pm

get tested for lyme. also check out dr burrascano hints on the web and see if you can relate to the symptom. also there is alot of tick born infection in california.
check it out!
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Exercise intolerance/joint problems

Postby Buzzygirl on November 8th, 2004, 7:43 pm

Hi Traveler,
I have been experiencing what I would call decreased endurance. I don't actually "exercise", but I've noticed I tire easily just with walking for extended periods of time. I have a treadmill, and don't even think of pushing myself to use it, I don't want to pay the price I would have to pay afterwards, sore legs, extreme fatigue. It's funny you should mention the problems with some of your joints. I have osteoarthritis in my fingers on both hands. It was fairly early onset, I first noticed it in my early forties. I am now 49. This has also spread, and I now have arthritic pain in my knees and sometimes left hip. I recently (last month) had a rheumatoid factor drawn, and it was negative. So yes, I do have joint pain as well. The only swollen joints are in my fingers, and they're always like that now. I don't know if any of this is related to BFS, which I have many symptoms of. But sometimes I feel like a physical wreck. How bout you?
Buzzygirl

Postby Stephanie on November 8th, 2004, 10:18 pm

I tested Pos for mycoplasma-another tick bacteria but don't know if it can cause twitching or not.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby traveler27 on November 8th, 2004, 11:02 pm

A physical wreck is absolutely how I would describe it. Anything sets it off - stress, exercise, you name it. I only work 3 days a week and this is now such a stress too. I had the basic lyme test, which I know everyone says is not reliable. I'll ask the Dr. on Weds. I'll check back with you then.
traveler27

Postby traveler27 on November 13th, 2004, 12:26 am

I thought I was really onto something because of the swollen joints - I thought it ruled out some of the more scary things I was thinking about. However, the rheumatologist just thinks it's the beginning of osteoarthritis, totally unrelated to my neurological symptoms. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
traveler27

Postby Stephanie on November 13th, 2004, 2:14 pm

did you get a Lyme test? If so, what type?
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby traveler27 on November 13th, 2004, 4:32 pm

I saw 2 types on my slip - I really can't remember the names. The rheumatologist really took some time to explain how Lyme unfolds, with large joint inflammation, then heart problems, and lastly neurological symptoms. I would love to believe that my problems could be solved with antibiotics, but I feel like it's unlikely that I have lyme.
traveler27

traveler27

Postby eric on November 14th, 2004, 7:50 pm

look up calda of california they will steer you in the right direction, as far as your doc he has no clue. what you stated before is not correct at all. you need to contact calda and they will help. it does appear that you may have lyme but you will need someone to figure out if it truly is. cognitive dysfunction,fasciculations,swollen knees and a host of other symptoms can and sometimes are caused by lyme disease.
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on November 14th, 2004, 8:47 pm

The thing about Lyme disease is that you can present with a very wide variety of symptoms, each case is different which makes it difficult to diagnose. There is no set "unfolding of events". You can range from a very mild case (like me the first time I got it-just stiffness and fatigue along w/bullseye rash) to severe (heart, kidney or neuro probs for example). Some people never even get sick so they don't realize they have it. It all depends how your body reacts to it (the bacteria). A pos blood test just means you've been exposed to it at some point, there is no good test to tell you whether you have an active case.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Have you considered Fibromyalgia and others?

Postby Davey on November 16th, 2004, 2:38 pm

You might want to consider Fibromyalgia, which has symptoms in common with BFS as well as congnitive problems. The term "fibro-fog" has been applied to this symptom.

Fibromyalgia also has been associated with restless leg syndrome (RLS), so there may be a possible link with BFS.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Have you considered Fibromyalgia and others?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management