published journal article on BFS

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

published journal article on BFS

Postby JGB on October 25th, 2004, 10:10 am

I found the below article on a MEDLINE search this morning. I was curious about carbamazepine therapy.

question: is a brief (say 2-week treatment) with such drugs effective? Or does the BFS return when the drug is stopped?

thanks
JGB

Neurology, Vol 41, Issue 7 1021-1024, Copyright © 1991 by American Academy of Neurology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARTICLES

Cramp-fasciculation syndrome: a treatable hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder
AJ Tahmoush, RJ Alonso, GP Tahmoush and TD Heiman-Patterson
Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA 19107.

We report nine patients with muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, exercise intolerance, and peripheral nerve hyperexcitability. Neurologic examination showed calf fasciculations in seven, quadriceps myokymia in two, and deltoid myokymia in one patient. Two patients had mild increase in serum creatine kinase. Muscle biopsy showed either no abnormality (three patients) or mild neurogenic changes (four patients). Fasciculations were the only abnormality on routine electrodiagnostic studies. Supramaximal stimulation of the median, ulnar, peroneal, and posterior tibial nerves at frequencies of 0.5, 1, 2, and 5 Hz produced showers of electrical potentials following the M response in at least one nerve. In three patients, the fasciculations and evoked electrical potentials were abolished by regional application of curare but not nerve block. Carbamazepine therapy caused moderate-to- marked reduction of symptoms and nerve hyperexcitability. We designate this hyperexcitable peripheral nerve disorder as the "cramp- fasciculation syndrome."
JGB
Interested
Interested

Postby jasonh_22 on October 26th, 2004, 12:07 am

You'd have to stay on the drug for it to keep working...its not a cure, just a treatment.

I've taken Trileptal (part of the Carbamazepine family)...and it didn't work at all for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.
jasonh_22

Tegretol

Postby LadyChester on November 20th, 2004, 8:32 pm

I took Tegretol for over a year. It definitely helped the fasics but the side-effects were horrible. Mental fogginess, uncredible fatigue, forgetfulness, etc., etc.
LadyChester
Interested
Interested

Postby Heater on November 21st, 2004, 4:56 pm

The reported side effects of Tegretol are exactly why I didn't fill my prescription given by neuro. I figured the side effects sounded a lot worse than my bfs symptoms. Now that I have no anxiety over you know what I find the whole thing quite tolerable now.
Heater

Postby unlucky_guy00 on December 9th, 2004, 7:31 am

Trileptal is new, and has less side effects than Tegetrol.
unlucky_guy00

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management