weight loss / excersize / sweeteners as the cause of BFS?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

weight loss / excersize / sweeteners as the cause of BFS?

Postby mspice on October 23rd, 2004, 12:30 am

First, hello to everyone on this board. I'm a first time poster but all of you hear helped me get through my fears a few months back. I'll share my experience that is just like most of yours some other time. In trying to deal with my BFS, I think about what might cause it.

Did any of you loose weight before your BFS started? What about starting or stopping a workout program?

I lost 45 lbs by eating only 1400 calories and excersizing for 2 hours a day. I kept this up for about a year or two and then went back to normal. After about a year, I had my first twitches. I often wonder if something about this caused my BFS. Was it going from lots of ecersize to no excersize? Was it not eating enough and going down to 4% body fat? Was it all of the massive amounts of aspertame (sweetner) that I got from the diet cokes and tea?

Let me know what you think,
Michael
27/m/AL
mspice

Postby garym on October 23rd, 2004, 12:58 pm

i would guess that it could be a combination of everything you mentioned leading to a magnesium or some other type of deficiency. Have you tried supplements such as mag? Could be worth a shot.

Take care,

Gary
garym

Postby Barb916 on October 23rd, 2004, 2:04 pm

I had just lot 20 lbs and had started a walking routine when all my twitching started back in April. Whether it's related or not, I'm not sure.

Of course now, I've gained all that weight back and haven't excersized in months! I've got to get "back on the wagon" with my diet and exercise. It can't hurt, right? My symptoms have not dissapeared without excersize so I might as well twitch and get in shape ! :D

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on October 23rd, 2004, 6:15 pm

I had recently lost a lot of weight, and then stopped exercising for a while. A week before my symptoms started up, I did a lot of heavy liftng and exercise, slept very little and drank a lot of diet coke and iced tea with Sweet and Low (a lot). It could be any/all - who knows.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Bree on October 23rd, 2004, 6:56 pm

I had just come off of three weeks of Atkins (couldn't take it-made me feel sick) and during that time I was using tons of Splenda. Have we found another common thread?

Bree
Bree

Postby mml on October 23rd, 2004, 7:28 pm

The first time I had the twitching I had just stopped exercising everything seemed to calm down then I started again and they came back I often wondered if there was a connection now I don't do it any more I had cramping and leg pain this time so I couln't exercise any more I also just found out that I have a herniated disc in my lumbar and cervical spine I don't know if that is the cause or not I doubt I ever will find out as you all know we drive ourselves nuts trying to figure this all out. I was so glad to find this site it has helped me a lot.
mml
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mml on October 23rd, 2004, 7:36 pm

Sorry for answering twice but I forgot to answer the question about artificial sweetner I never use it I always figured it was bad for you.
mml
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: weight loss / excersize / sweeteners as the cause of BFS

Postby LeeNC on October 23rd, 2004, 9:16 pm

Michael:

The possible causes you mentioned don't apply in my case. I hadn't lost weight, changed my fitness routine (except to add a yoga class), or used any artificual sweeteners or protein drinks.

There's more than one way to skin a cat...or make him twitch.

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on November 1st, 2004, 12:33 am

After not having exercised regularly for 8 years or so, I decided to "get back in shape." I did not ease back into the exercise routine at all. Instead I worked out multiple times per week, many times for 2 hours per day of muscle/fitness type classes at my club. I was drinking carbonated beverages sweetened with Splenda and presto the twitching started about 3 months into this routine.

I had a clean emg at the UCSF ALS center and the doctor said she thought my BFS was the result of the exercise routine. She discounted the possibility of the nutrasweet or splenda connection although she did not rule it out. She gets BFS too and hers is exaserbated by exercise.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

the "fitness lifestyle" connection

Postby Ish on November 3rd, 2004, 7:31 pm

As I've said before elsewhere in these forums. I feel that there got to be some sort of connection, however indirect, with the fitness lifestyle; just look at all these gym going weight lifting health fooding people on the list, for one thing.

Me? My sx started after a period of weight loss, heavy resistance training (to excruciating failure), low carb high protein dieting, and lots of daily whey protein powder. Age 52. If it isn't one of these things it must be something else associated fitness fantatics.

Since then: 1.5 years of 1/sec 24/7 all over twitching, plus marathon level soreness, and, yes, the buzzing. Dx confirmed by EMG ("normal except for facs") and neuro exam.
Ish

Postby eleven on November 11th, 2004, 12:20 pm

I had lost about 10 lbs over several months as a result of discontinuing birth control. And then I lost some more lbs. due to the flu like virus I had. I have always thought the weight loss was connected in some way to my twitches. I think it caused some sort of deficiency in some mineral or vitamin.
And I never touch artificial sweetners.
eleven

Postby LeeNC on November 12th, 2004, 8:39 pm

Hi, Ish:

Don't recount "excruciating failure" in your exercise regime. The fact that you are aware and trying counts for a lot. Just walk and get a good mental attitude; that will probably get you where you want to be. The older I get, the more I accept that our mental health and physical health are inextricable. (Is it OK to use that word as a noun instead of an adverb?)

And, Eleven - no connection to the BFS biz, but yes, when I d/c'd bc pills I lost more than 10 lb. And I felt better mentally too. You too?

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby LeeNC on November 12th, 2004, 9:02 pm

Oops, that would be an adjective, not a noun. Twitching + wine + old age = grammatical faux pas.
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on November 23rd, 2004, 10:19 pm

Mine started after four months on the Atkins Diet and a 35-40 pound loss. I also have joint popping that started then as well, so maybe I did develop a deficiency. I am no longer on the diet (I'm pregnant and have gained 10 pounds back), but still pop and twitch. I do not use artificial sweetners and I walk for exercise.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

resistance training; reps to failure

Postby Ish on November 26th, 2004, 8:58 pm

Just for the record, in case it is a clue. By "excruiating failure" I mean "reps to failure" -- i.e. that kind of resistance training where you spend 30 secs or so on your last repetition attempt (usually no. 9 for me), straining like crazy, but failing, to budge the bar. I wonder: did that put those efferent neurons in shock?

Aarrggh. we've got half a dozen interesting hypotheses to test here.

LeeNC wrote:Hi, Ish:

Don't recount "excruciating failure" in your exercise regime. The fact that you are aware and trying counts for a lot. Just walk and get a good mental attitude; that will probably get you where you want to be. The older I get, the more I accept that our mental health and physical health are inextricable. (Is it OK to use that word as a noun instead of an adverb?)

And, Eleven - no connection to the BFS biz, but yes, when I d/c'd bc pills I lost more than 10 lb. And I felt better mentally too. You too?

--LeeNC
Ish

resistance training; reps to failure

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Symptom Management