Anyone tried Quinine to lessen twitches?

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Anyone tried Quinine to lessen twitches?

Postby smithy on October 14th, 2004, 11:36 pm

Hey everybody,
I've been trying quinine (a natural muscle relaxant) for a few days and it seems to help with the twitches. Problem is it gives me an upset stomach so I don't think I'll keep on it. Anyone else tried it?
Last edited by smithy on October 15th, 2004, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smithy

Postby LeeNC on October 15th, 2004, 6:23 am

Smithy:

Haven't tried quinine, but isn't that something that helps with malaria symptoms?

I wonder now if BFS isn't at least in some way related to malaria, because along with twitches my BFS has included a shaky-inside feeling and occasional shivering even when warm. Not that I know much about malaria, but I have joked that my bouts of shivering seemed malaria-like.

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby Bree on October 15th, 2004, 8:39 am

During the summer when I thought I might have restless leg syndrome, a friend (retired nurse) suggested I try tonic water because of the quinine. She said a doctor recommended it to her and she takes 4-6 ounces every night and said it works like a dream. She also suggested it to a 24-year-old girl who got great results with it. I never tried it but maybe I will now.
Couldn't hurt!

Bree
Bree

Postby Heater on October 15th, 2004, 1:35 pm

I tried Quinine and it seemed to help somewhat, but like you Smithy, I couldn't take the upset stomach and diahrea that it gave me.

Heater
Heater

Postby Barb916 on October 19th, 2004, 9:11 pm

Tonic water here I come!! I haven't tried anything yet to help with my symptoms. If some of you said it helps, I'm going to try it. How much are you supposed to take? Bree suggested 4 - 6 ounces. To those you had stomach problems...where you taking more than this ? Were you drinking tonic water or getting the quinine in another way?

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby garym on October 20th, 2004, 10:45 am

I've tried tonic water, but it always had a healthy dose of gin in it :D . Maybe that's why it didn't work :?: .

Gary
garym

Postby nacide on October 20th, 2004, 8:37 pm

I drink a glass of tonic every morning and evening. I can not tell if it really helps, but my twitches did not worsen and are concentrated on my calves now. Random twitches are very seldom now. I drink this along with vitamin E and B and selen, which was recommended to me by a friend who is animal doctor.
nacide
Interested
Interested

Taking quinine pills now

Postby Davey on November 16th, 2004, 2:16 pm

I just started taking quinine pills (250 mg) and found that they help with my cramping and have reduced the twitching a bit. I didn't get enough quinine in tonic water, so I had my neurologist prescribe me these a couple of days ago. So far, so good.

I haven't had any stomach upset, but then again, I have an iron-clad stomach. I suggest anyone who is taking it take it with food.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Something to be aware of ....

Postby Davey on November 18th, 2004, 3:57 pm

If you are taking Quinine sulfate tablets to manage your cramping and twitching, you need to be aware that there have been rare cases of serious side effects, mostly thrombocytopenia. From 1969 to 1992, there were 23 deaths attributed to the medication. In fact, the FDA banned the prescription of Quinine sulfate for leg cramps in 1995. Currently, the only thing quinine is supposed to be used for is the treatment of Malaria. :shock:

You can read the full report and criteria for the non-formulary use from the Veteran's Administration

Interestingly, that didn't stop my Neurologist from prescribing them! :?
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Something to be aware of ....

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management