Has anyone tried anti-virals??

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Has anyone tried anti-virals??

Postby jasonh_22 on October 3rd, 2004, 2:18 pm

I posted this a while back...but i didn't really get any responses. So I'll try again:

Has anyone tried taking an anti-viral medication (like Valtrex) to see if it helped with the BFS?

The theory is that BFS is the result of some "hard-to-kill" virus...therefore, taking anti-virals for a while might help stop it. Has anyone tried this?? Thanks.
jasonh_22

Postby Floater on October 4th, 2004, 10:49 am

no, but ill ask my doctor about it on thursday... i read it somewhere that it works for bfs. i mean im willing to give anything a shot..do you take anti-virals?
Floater
Saint
Saint

Postby jasonh_22 on October 4th, 2004, 11:54 pm

I haven't tried them yet as it is. I'm taking so many pills nowadays, that I'm tryin to hold off on adding anything else unless it has a good shot at working.

As far as I've read, the anti-virals are generally pretty safe side effect-wise. Let me know what your doctor says...cause mine told me it was just a theory and there hasn't really been any studies on it.
jasonh_22

Postby mad on October 5th, 2004, 4:32 pm

I was on a daily dose of Valtrex when mine started. It could have brought it out, or it may have no effect at all.

Who knows?
mad

Postby jasonh_22 on October 7th, 2004, 1:06 am

mad wrote:I was on a daily dose of Valtrex when mine started. It could have brought it out, or it may have no effect at all.

Who knows?

Isn't Valtrex used to treat genital herpes? Do you think that virus may have been the cause of the BFS??
jasonh_22

Postby LeeNC on October 7th, 2004, 8:03 am

Mad & Jason:

I do think we're on to something here. I don't know whether we can point specifically to the Herpes Simplex virus as a cause of BFS, or whether it's just any number of insults (virus, bacteria, stress alone) that are to blame.

We shouldn't be too quick to say "Not me" to the possibility of herpes simplex. I recently read that perhaps 80% of the population has it, just not everyone has symptoms. I've gathered that you don't have to have genital herpes, and you don't even have to have cold sores to be walking around with latent herpes simplex.

I'll repeat the reason I support the virus idea: For years (pre-BFS), I have had episodes (every few months or years) where I'd get teeny blisters, just 1 - 3, on my finger tips. Over the space of days, each little spot tingles, then itches, then blisters, then hardens and goes away. According to the internet, these are probably "herpetic whitlows," although some of the internet hits show something much yuckier than these little blisters. It seems the cause is herpes simplex, and these often affect people who work in the healthcare field. Well, at the same time I started feeling shaky and twitchy 4 months ago, I had another episode of the fingertip blisters, but this time it lasted MONTHS, and I had DOZENS. I'll add that I got a huge number of bug bites (chiggers and attached ticks) a week or two before the onset of BFS. It's known that mosquitos and other insects can spread viruses (West Nile, etc.). If the bug bites didn't outright cause my BFS, then I think they introduced something to my system that activated herpes simplex, which then caused the BFS. Just my theory. But I am fully aware that others here can point to different and equally valid possible triggers!

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby jasonh_22 on October 7th, 2004, 9:29 pm

I dont think I have Herpes...but I wonder if its possible that I somehow picked it up and thats the cause of my BFS. Do they have a blood test for the Herpes virus??

Are there any studies on the correlation between Herpes and BFS?? Maybe we should take a poll on here to see. I know Herpes is a neurological virus, so it makes sense that sometimes things could go whacky and cause weird things to happen to your body...aka BFS.
jasonh_22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management