HELP! Feels like severe cramp coming...

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

HELP! Feels like severe cramp coming...

Postby mike3456 on September 24th, 2004, 8:38 pm

OK this is very troubling. please see my other few posts for history. That right leg that's been bothering me- It feels like my hamstrings are kinda tight, and worse, the inside of my foot, the muscle the connects to the big toe feels like it is on the edge of a severe cramp and its freaking me out because I;ve never had a cramp there before (onlt the charlie horse in the calf). Fraked out for two reasons...don;t know how to uncramp it if it starts and I know the pain with be unbearable. 2) Why is this happening? I don;t see that sever cramping (spasms) are a symptom of BFS! I still am having accassional twitches in that leg and occasionally other places. I actually had a pretty violent twitch for a few seconds on the inside of that thigh this morning.

I'm trying to stay calm but I'm only on day 3 of the Zoloft and I think I might be having the "anxiety" side effect. Can anxiety cause a muscle spasm (severe cramp)? I just don;t know why that one leg has become so achy and now in the virge of cramping. What's even more trouble is the perceived weakness the that whole leg. Despite my neuro office exam and my doc saying this isn't the A-word...now I'm worrying again. OR what about other nast neuro diseases that have spasms in the symptom list??? Why only this one *beep* leg?? I had my MRI this morning and my EMG is Wed....this is aweful. Now I'm freakin about calcium defiency and hypothyrodism and tetany and bone tomurs....geez.

I took a valium this morning for the MRI...now I'm wondering if I should take another for bed...I dont know if I'm suppose to them with the Zoloft...anyone know?? For now I'm sipping a beer.

Also anyone know a quick cure in case a severe cramp come on in my foot??

I'm sorry...I'm just freaking out right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. God, I'm, such a basket case...when will this end?
-Mike
mike3456

Postby whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 8:42 pm

Cramping does indeed sometimes accompany bfs. My first night on zoloft, my calves were twitching and cramping something fierce. The cramps were not the typical charley horse, foot stompin' cramps thought. They were very localized and almost always associated with a visible twitch. This persisted from Saturday evening till the following Monday evening. They stopped COLD when I finally read the details about bfs on this site that Monday evening (it was labor day actually). It was the combined twitching and cramping that finally sent me to the ER Monday afternoon. I also do indeed think that the zoloft heightened my anxiety for those first 2-3 days. I was fine by Tuesday.

You'll get past this and I think (hope!) you'll find the zoloft puts you in a frame of mind to talk yourself through the anxiety. That's what it's doing for me. My GP confirmed this this afternoon and wants me to stay on the zoloft for the next 3 months.

Hang in there. You're fine!
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

:

Postby dont on September 24th, 2004, 8:57 pm

Take a klonopin bath. No just kidding.

No really my right leg has been hurting form my thigh to my toes for three days. It's feels just exactly how you explained; like it's on the verge of cramping up but never does. It's a constant pretty good ache. Sometime a shooting pain will go through my thigh or my calf and between my big toe and second toe.

I also will sometimes get a quick painful twinge then a big thumper twitch in my calves.

Lots of us have this!

Take care and try to relax! Zoloft made my anxiety go through the roof. My BP was 165/103 when I took it and I had an abnormal EKG while on it. I tried it again and had another trip to the ER so the Zoloft could be causing some of the added anxiety but if you can hang in there do so; I on the other hand could not stand it with work and a three year old.

Karen
dont
Hero
Hero

Re: :

Postby whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 9:11 pm

dont wrote:Take care and try to relax! Zoloft made my anxiety go through the roof. My BP was 165/103 when I took it and I had an abnormal EKG while on it. I tried it again and had another trip to the ER so the Zoloft could be causing some of the added anxiety but if you can hang in there do so; I on the other hand could not stand it with work and a three year old.

Wow! I have PSVT, probably due to a prolapsed mitral valve but never actually had the echo to confirm it...GP said it wasn't worth the expense. Anyway, cardiac issues are a HUGE (probably huger than they should be) concern for me when dealing with medications. My psvt was diagnosed in 1996 after two or three episodes of tachycardia that caused me to have anxiety attacks and the two just fed off each other. My doc put me on a VERY low dose of propranolol, primarily for the anxiety, and over the years I've learned to accept the premature beats I sometimes feel. PSVT is a benign condition and the treatment is to just leave it alone and in the absence of underlying cardiovascular illness, which I don't have, it's "just there" and isn't a problem. He also taught me a little trick to break the runs of tach -- I just cough a few times and that stops it! It's so ironic that I've learned to accept my benign cardiac condition and yet get totally freaked out over muscle twitches and aching muscles. It's all about frame of mind I guess.

Anyway, since I've been on the zoloft I've not noticed anything out of the ordinary. Once this week I had a mild run of tach, but the cough stopped it immediately.
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 9:14 pm

I forgot to mention that I've had the "almost cramping" feeling LOTS lately! It's a very strange feeling because I get set for the onset of a cramp and it never happens. Weird. I've found that walking helps relieve this sensation. Face it -- I couldn't walk a mile every evening with cramps.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Barb916 on September 24th, 2004, 9:15 pm

Mike,

I can't speak about the side affects of zoloft but I can lend some advise about the cramps. I suggest soaking your foot, or if it's your whole leg, taking a very warm bath. Warmth relaxes your muscles and it will relax you too. A gentle massage might help as well. If you are not into "baths"... maybe try a heating pad or some sort of sports cream that gets warm after applied.

As far as this being a symptom of anything bad....No Way! When our anxiety is high, we tense up. Without even realizing it we tense our muscles. I did this for about a week in my left arm when my symptoms started. I couldn't figure out way my arm was so tired and burning. After my anxiety settled a little, I realized I was doing it to myself. I was keeing that arm in a constant contracted state! Now I'm more consious of this and haven't done it since.

Everyone holds there tension in a different place. Some people it's their shoulders, other their neck or back. Maybe yours is in your legs. Just a thought.

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby amy_twitch on September 24th, 2004, 9:57 pm

Hi Mike,
Again, this could also be from hyperventilation too. On one of my two trips to the ER with hyperventilation attacks (or what I thought was a panic attack), the doc was explaining to me that he's seen patients come in with their extremeties all tightened up, like their hands get very cramped and claw-like. It can happen in the feet too.

Is this sensation worst when you're 'supposedly' relaxed? It could be that you're overbreathing again.

It's tricky. When you think you're hyperventilating, you tend to tell yourself to relax and focus on your breathing. Unless you're really good at the abdominal breathing exercises, you're likely to mess up your breathing rhythm even more---and the symptoms get worse.

Try the paper bag approach. Just breathe into one naturally for fifteen minutes while you're chillin' in front of the TV. Or when you're going to bed, try falling asleep with your comforter or pillow over your mouth--just enough to where you feel like you're re-breathing your own air. I fall asleep like this a lot. It should help you out....and worth a try anyway.

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on September 24th, 2004, 10:53 pm

MY NEURO SAID CRAMPS ARE PART OF BFS.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby mike3456 on September 24th, 2004, 11:24 pm

Thanks so much all of you for the replies in my little "attack". Geez. I'm OK now I think. It's just weird...I've *never* experience these symptoms in my leg before last week (that I can remember). As least with the twitching I could say that I'd had a twitch now and then as far back as I can remember. But the right leg thing is so weird- symptoms vary and change and include aches, tightness, tingling, almost-cramps, warm, numbness, and of course twitches, and they all kinda wax and wane and change over periods of hours. It just new to me, so it's disconcerting. And what's really weird, is they seem to feel more intense when I'm sitting perfectly still...when I get up and walk they almost disappear (like you said whatnext).

Actually I did take bath which seemed to help a little and then had a beer, which helped a little too. :wink:

You are all great! Thanks!
-Mike
mike3456

Postby mike3456 on September 24th, 2004, 11:28 pm

And, Amy, I think you're right that the hyperventilation is mixed in there too. Thanks for the breathing tips. I know what you mean about the pillow thing...kinda like when you cover your head with the blanket/pillow to block out light, but you have to come up for air every so often!
-Mike
mike3456

Postby Stephanie on September 26th, 2004, 8:30 pm

I read a little article today that said most people generally have an average of 4 charlie-horse cramps a year. Those are the really bad crippling cramps. A lot of people get crampy legs every day--mostly at night.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management